Dual SR-2 club

For F@H it's a moot point anyway, there is no cluster client and that has been on the back burner at Stanford for a long time.

You guys are ridiculou.... I mean... [H]ardcore...

Hopefully I'll have a second Xeon and my first SR-2 in a couple of months :)

Btw anyone got a spare L5640 they want to get rid of? :p

Not possible with consumer hardware, really. At least not to the point it would be better than running separate systems.

The issue is the interconnects between systems. 24 cores talking to 24 cores would take an insane amount of bandwidth due to sharing processing information and memory transfers.

When I was reading about this stuff a few years ago, it seemed like 100Gig ethernet/interconnects were required just to get started.

Most people find $500 10Gig NICs to be expensive. 100Gig just doesn't leave datacenters, really.

That said, if someone wants to buy an IBM processing Blade rack, you could have a few hundred threads to fold on. Would only cost a few million dollars!

I worked in a datacenter and they didn't have 100gig! They did have LOTS of 10 gig fiber there though! So if they needed 100 gig they would run 10 10 gigs to get it.

Not possible with consumer hardware, really. At least not to the point it would be better than running separate systems.

The issue is the interconnects between systems. 24 cores talking to 24 cores would take an insane amount of bandwidth due to sharing processing information and memory transfers.

When I was reading about this stuff a few years ago, it seemed like 100Gig ethernet/interconnects were required just to get started.

Most people find $500 10Gig NICs to be expensive. 100Gig just doesn't leave datacenters, really.

That said, if someone wants to buy an IBM processing Blade rack, you could have a few hundred threads to fold on. Would only cost a few million dollars!

Then can someone please explain this to me once and for all - is the point of this thread moot or is it actually possible to have 48 threads playing Crysis?

Then can someone please explain this to me once and for all - is the point of this thread moot or is it actually possible to have 48 threads playing Crysis?

Yes- point is moot - this thread is about people like me silly enough to invest in two separate Sr2 computers - no they cannot be joined at the hip in Windows and run 48 threads.

you could try running Crysis in a VM on a linux box where you have them "joined"....just saying

Planting the seeds. I wouldn't be surprised if some people seriously considered this. This is [H]! ;)

It it better to buy an sr-2 system for like $5000 or buy like 30+ triple core systems that could be built for the same price? ppd/$ wise does this system produce more points than say 30 Athlon II X3 445 systems with 2gb of ram each that would probably cost about the same.

Your Triple core would do about 6k PPD if you unlocked the 4th core. X 30 = 180k PPD
My SR-2 does about 140k PPD.

Your Triple uses ~150w x 30 = 4500w
My SR-2 uses ~500w

nitrobass with the ppw FTW.

An SR2 would become a cost saving measure at that point!

My SR-2 parts all arrived today. Great timing, because I took (and passed!) my MCTS exam this morning, so I'll have some free time this week. Also, I'm currently crunching two 2685s. Life is good. :)

I need to juggle some heatsinks and hard drives among boxen, so it might take a little while to get everything online.

My SR-2 parts all arrived today. Great timing, because I took (and passed!) my MCTS exam this morning, so I'll have some free time this week. Also, I'm currently crunching two 2685s. Life is good. :)

I need to juggle some heatsinks and hard drives among boxen, so it might take a little while to get everything online.

Ahhh, that lovely feeling of all before you, potential waiting to be unlocked, love it. Keep up posted :D

Is this going to be another try with the iffy x5650's, or something else?
EDIT : nvm I saw your other post - hoping you have better luck second time around.

Last edited:
dual_sr2.jpg

The first SR-2 has been installed in the Lian Li PC-V2120. It's now the "second" SR-2, and the new SR-2 will become my new desktop in the Mountain Mods case (which is still a work in progress).

Notes:

As expected, the only difference with new "A2" SR-2 is the missing ECP board. Everything else is exactly the same.

I noticed there's a circle on the back of the SR-2 in the PCIE slot area that aligns with a standard ATX standoff. No screw-hole, but it provides a little more support in the center of the board, for horizontal setups at least.

The Newegg review of the PC-V2120 was partially correct in that the SR-2 will not fit out of the box. You have to remove the aluminum support for the interior fan, which takes maybe 5 minutes. I submitted my own Newegg review to set the record straight. The SR-2 with True Spirit HSFs can be installed on the removeable mobo tray outside of the case. There are holes in the tray corresponding to every hole in the SR-2, and the mobo thumbscrews are really neat. There are a couple tall thumbscrews included, which work well in the hole hidden under the heatsink and some other tight areas.

The PC-V2120 is an extremely nice case, even a step up from my other Lian Li. You definitely get your money's worth. The only negative so far is that the SR-2 was running about 10 degrees warmer in the closed case, so I have one of the side panels off for now. I need to play with the fan speeds and probably install some more fans in the top blowholes. Out of the box it's definitely designed for silence rather than maximum cooling.

Second SR-2 up and running:

kali_build.jpg

Nothing like two non-modular power supplies to create a mess of cables. That's one of the reasons I haven't installed it in the case yet -- I want to get everything debugged first. I also need to install the second 295.

My initial overclock attempt didn't go very well, so I'm at stock for now to get Windows set up, and then I'll take it slow on my second attempt. First thing is to flash the BIOS to the latest with unlocked uncore.

Back