Dual Socket Board same speed cpu?

oplin

Gawd
I have a Dell Power Edge 2650 Server and it has 2 cpu slots, if i upgrade to another xeon does it have to be the same speed as the other cpu?? I'm guessing it will just step the faster processor down to the whatever one is the slowest. But just wanted to double check? Or will it overclock the other what the faster one is running at?

I believe they both have to be the same speed. Now, it could be different, but awhile back when I still had an Iwill dual P2/P3 mobo, I tried to use a P2 233 with a P2 300 and it just wouldn't work. So, from that experience, I believe they have to be the same speed.

I have a Dell Power Edge 2650 Server and it has 2 cpu slots, if i upgrade to another xeon does it have to be the same speed as the other cpu?? I'm guessing it will just step the faster processor down to the whatever one is the slowest. But just wanted to double check? Or will it overclock the other what the faster one is running at?

it definetely will NOT oc the other CPU

So same speed they most likely have to be? I just looked at the licensing costs on the server and the processor costs about 1/10th of that, so a thousand or 2 for a new processors shouldn't be hard to make fly. For personal use though would be nice to know for sure if 2 different speed cpu's could be used.

Back