Dual SIM phone for ATT and Verizon?

• Thread starter Deleted member 184142
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 184142

Does it exist?

I was looking around and saw the new 640 dual sim LTE I think had support for all the bands needed, but searched again for those specs and could not find it, but it seems there will be two versions of the phone, and the second one would be the one that supported it.

I am just looking for a way to put my personal and work numbers into the same device, one, I hate having to carry two phones, and second, my work phone is a iPhone 6, which I have done my best to try and get use to and like, but as the months pass, I have gone from being open, to disliking it, to down right hating the thing now.

It does not need to be Android, I am ok with using a Windows phone as well, however are there any current or soon coming phones that will support both sets of bands needed? I don't need full LTE support on both, I could live with 3G on the work phone and 3G on the personal, would rather at least the older 4G support on the work phone however, as it has unlimited data.

Well you would have to get a phone on Verizon with dual sim as they won't add any other phones to their network. Not sure if there's really a large choice of those.

it's going to be difficult

Talking strictly in the GSM universe, there are different types of dual-sim phones:
active-active (can use both SIMs actively) (sub category: LTE data only on one but voice is active on both)
active-passive (idle on both, but can only use one actively at a time)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_SIM#Active

https://www.gogi.in/difference-dual-active-dual-standby.html
hardware gets a lot more complicated if you want to add in CDMA support (for Verizon)

you will have to wait for a dual-SIM phone that supports LTE on both Verizon(2/4/5/13) and ATT(2/4/5/17) and VoLTE on both networks, and the phone can idle on LTE for both .. might be waiting forever for this niche phone to come out in the market

Last edited:
Well you would have to get a phone on Verizon with dual sim as they won't add any other phones to their network. Not sure if there's really a large choice of those.

You sure? I thought phones like my Nexus 5 they would?

it's going to be difficult

Talking strictly in the GSM universe, there are different types of dual-sim phones:
active-active (can use both SIMs actively) (sub category: LTE data only on one but voice is active on both)
active-passive (idle on both, but can only use one actively at a time)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_SIM#Active

https://www.gogi.in/difference-dual-active-dual-standby.html
hardware gets a lot more complicated if you want to add in CDMA support (for Verizon)

you will have to wait for a dual-SIM phone that supports LTE on both Verizon(2/4/5/13) and ATT(2/4/5/17) and VoLTE on both networks, and the phone can idle on LTE for both .. might be waiting forever for this niche phone to come out in the market

Well shit...I would want active-active...So I guess I am up shits creek, as I have been looking for over a month now without any luck, only the 640 looked like it might work. Guess it might be time to give up my personal and just find an android on Verizon's network and swap it out.

Verizon's network only uses the SIM card for LTE data. Voice/SMS/slower data is still CDMA and therefore tied to a specific phone, not SIM card. Dual-SIM phones are mostly popular in the developing world and CDMA is generally a US only thing, so you're pretty much out of luck.

Verizon's network only uses the SIM card for LTE data. Voice/SMS/slower data is still CDMA and therefore tied to a specific phone, not SIM card. Dual-SIM phones are mostly popular in the developing world and CDMA is generally a US only thing, so you're pretty much out of luck.

Never had Verizon, other than this work phone, however after lots of searching, it doesn't seem like band support matters, as my Nexus 5 has all the bands needed, but Verizon will not add it to the "support" list and as such "blocks" the phone from the network, so pretty much unless you buy the phone from them, you are SOL. Glad I never switched to Verizon....

no, Verizon has VoLTE.... if you have access to the LTE network on your device, and your device can register onto VoLTE, you can use voice on Verizon

however, I've only seen nexus 6/iPhone 6 having cross-network VoLTE implementation (i.e. device will work on VoLTE for both Verizon/T-mobile/...)

If you take a Verizon S6 with VoLTE, I don't know if it'll work on t-mobile VoLTE (you'll have to modify settings similar to the APN data, plus other bugs/carrier-specific modifications?)

that's why I say
a) find a dual-sim phone with band 2/4/5/13/17 LTE support (can use on ATT/verizon)
b) has VoLTE and can use it on both networks
c) can be dual-active/dual-passive on LTE/VoLTE

I also want a million dollars... don't think either of us will get what we want

Never had Verizon, other than this work phone, however after lots of searching, it doesn't seem like band support matters, as my Nexus 5 has all the bands needed, but Verizon will not add it to the "support" list and as such "blocks" the phone from the network, so pretty much unless you buy the phone from them, you are SOL. Glad I never switched to Verizon....
Nope. Nexus 5 doesn't have LTE band 13 (verizon's primary band).

band 13 has those (pesky) open-access rules, band 4/CDMA do not, but those rules are still somewhat useless

Last edited:
So, the HTC Desire 820, made in China, matches the Verizon radio specs exactly, I will print them below.

But by golly, I still can't get the thing to connect! I did find out that Verizon data works! Just not the voice - which is stupid. Verizon is stupid. I got 10 different answers from 10 different idiots. Here are the specs:
Dual Sim Card Nano Sim Card 4G LTE FDD 900/1800/2100/2600MHz; TDD 1900/2300/2600MHz;3G:WCDMA/HSPA/UMTS 850/900/1900/2100MHz;2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Verizon uses 850 Mhz and 1900 Mhz for voice, 1xRTT (2G) and EVDO (3G) data For LTE, Verizon uses bands 4 (1700) and 13 (700). Band 13 is Verizon's primary LTE band. Band 4, which Verizon markets as XLTE, is used to provide increased speed and capacity in urban areas.

So, the HTC Desire 820, made in China, matches the Verizon radio specs exactly, I will print them below.

But by golly, I still can't get the thing to connect! I did find out that Verizon data works! Just not the voice - which is stupid. Verizon is stupid. I got 10 different answers from 10 different idiots. Here are the specs:
Dual Sim Card Nano Sim Card 4G LTE FDD 900/1800/2100/2600MHz; TDD 1900/2300/2600MHz;3G:WCDMA/HSPA/UMTS 850/900/1900/2100MHz;2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Verizon uses 850 Mhz and 1900 Mhz for voice, 1xRTT (2G) and EVDO (3G) data For LTE, Verizon uses bands 4 (1700) and 13 (700). Band 13 is Verizon's primary LTE band. Band 4, which Verizon markets as XLTE, is used to provide increased speed and capacity in urban areas.

Look at the specs very carefully, note how 850 and 1900 are quotes under the 3G section. Note how the phone doesn't mention CDMA *at all*. That isn't a CDMA phone, it'll NEVER speak VZW voice on 1xRTT (EVDO is a data only thing) that it's a CDMA technology. (*not* WCDMA, that's something totally different)

So unless VZW has VoLTE active in your area and they allow it to work with your phone you'll never get verizon voice.

Look at the specs very carefully, note how 850 and 1900 are quotes under the 3G section. Note how the phone doesn't mention CDMA *at all*. That isn't a CDMA phone, it'll NEVER speak VZW voice on 1xRTT (EVDO is a data only thing) that it's a CDMA technology. (*not* WCDMA, that's something totally different)

So unless VZW has VoLTE active in your area and they allow it to work with your phone you'll never get verizon voice.
Also, not sure how you got it working on Verizon at all

Phone has zero CDMA capability (as Fnordman said). Phone does not support ANY vsrizon lte bands (2/4/5/13)

So really not sure why the phone has data...

Back