Dual / Quad core motherboard help please.

gameradio

n00b
The system i'm running right now is getting to it's age, and i was looking for a pretty good motherboard that will run around a 2.4 ghz dual core, with 3GB ram, pci most definately. I love asus boards, but seen where a lot of people will have a problem with certain ones. I have a pretty good idea of where to go for them, just need to know some of the models that actually have a good rep with some of you guys.

I was just reading some reviews on them, I would love to try and stay around $150 - $200, maybe a little over that.. I am doing basic computer stuff, and regular gaming, but nothing extreme, i'm not a fan of Crysis either, WOW, HL2, TF 2, BF 2, along the lines of that, nothing major at all.... I dont do the overclocking thing, so it really is a basic setup.. It's just hard at times, with what mobos go along with what processors and dont bottleneck.

If you don't need Crossfire/SLI, stick with a P35 board. If you don't need anything fancy, the Abit IP35-E and Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L (if you need legacy ports) are your good-but-cheap options (they can OC great w/ better chipset cooling). If you need RAID, the GA-P35-DS3R is good and has 8 SATA ports, but the MSI Neo2-FR has better cooling for the chipset/mosfets (though you're sacrificing 3 SATA ports). If you need Firewire, the Asus P5K fits the bill. If you want/need both RAID and Firewire, check out the Abit IP35 non-pro, if you can find it in stock (typically $120 - $25MIR). The higher end boards are the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P, DS4, Asus P5K-E, and the crowd favorite, Abit IP35 Pro. The DFI boards are great for people who want to tweak a million BIOS settings.

So, first ask yourself what features you need in a motherboard.

If you don't need Crossfire/SLI, stick with a P35 board. If you don't need anything fancy, the Abit IP35-E and Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L (if you need legacy ports) are your good-but-cheap options (they can OC great w/ better chipset cooling). If you need RAID, the GA-P35-DS3R is good and has 8 SATA ports, but the MSI Neo2-FR has better cooling for the chipset/mosfets (though you're sacrificing 3 SATA ports). If you need Firewire, the Asus P5K fits the bill. If you want/need both RAID and Firewire, check out the Abit IP35 non-pro, if you can find it in stock (typically $120 - $25MIR). The higher end boards are the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P, DS4, Asus P5K-E, and the crowd favorite, Abit IP35 Pro. The DFI boards are great for people who want to tweak a million BIOS settings.

So, first ask yourself what features you need in a motherboard.
nice recommendations .
Just one question , do ASUS use Solid State Capacitors like GIGABYTE in their lower end 140$ ish mobo's .

Yes, if you need all of its features.

firewire is a must for me , because i would like to keep my pci slots free in any mobo so that i can get a sound card in there with a gpu with an aftermarket cooler that may cover a pci slot .

Back