Dual PSUs and problem waking from S3

clayton006

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've got two PSUs installed using the mod right dual PSU cable. All goes well during normal system use. When I wake the computer up from S3, occasionally I'll start to get the red screen of death. This tells me that my nvidia cards are going nutty (usually). The only thing plugged into my second PSU (the one not plugged into my CPU / MOBO / SSDs) is one of my 670's. When I plug everything into the 1500w PSU all is well.

I know the 1050hx corsair runs fine (had this installed in an ivy bridge system with dual 670s with no issues). Could this be a matter of the PSU isn't waking up properly or quick enough from S3?

I know I don't need the second PSU right now, but down the road I will possibly need it so I'm trying to get it to work now.

EDIT: Apparently this isn't due to the video cards. Maybe the latest beta drivers are the culprit.

Uhh... Why do you need that much power exactly?

Eventually I'm looking at whatever replaces the Titan (or Titan Ultra) having four of those under water with a highly overclocked 3930k (or Haswell-E 8-core) when that comes out at the end of the year.

A single 1500W PSU should be enough for all of that.

HardOCP tested SLI Titans w/ i7 3770k full load was 646W. I know you're using a 3930k and even that paired with a 670 at full load only consumed 378W. Even if we add all of those up; 2x i7 3770k w/ SLI Titans + i7 3930k w/ 670 GTX you're looking at 1670W.

Let's assume it's a very good PSU with 90% efficiency. Since that 1670W is at the wall, let's see what the PSU would actually put out. 1503W.

So there you have it. A 1500W PSU can almost power TWO complete i7 3770k w/ SLI Titan setups + a 3930k w/ GTX 670. That's three COMPLETE systems almost fits under a single 1500W PSU.

So why do you need two PSUs again?

My 3930k at 5.1GHz and four GTX 670's pulled at the wall about 1150 with a gaming load. While I imagine four titans will pull a good bit more and probably be under 1500w at the wall, I would like to have a bit more headroom than that. Yes I know that 1500 at the wall is fine for a PSU like this one.

Newer hardware will be more efficient, but I'd still like to balance the load out a bit with two PSUs if I can avoid major headaches.

Uh what did you measure the power consumption with?

At the wall like I mentioned in the above post? With a kill-a-watt meter. I know that if it pulls that much from the wall then based on efficient it is really only providing to the system a percentage of that. Since mine is 80plus silver it would be drawing a bit more than your 80 plus gold example.

At the wall like I mentioned in the above post? With a kill-a-watt meter. I know that if it pulls that much from the wall then based on efficient it is really only providing to the system a percentage of that. Since mine is 80plus silver it would be drawing a bit more than your 80 plus gold example.

A KAW might now be showing anywhere close to the accurate numbers depending on your PSU. ;)

Also a Titan GPU is only going to pull ~65W more than a 670. 65W * 4 = 260W + 1150W = 1410W.

Still not adding up that you need dual PSUs.

Back