Dual Network Connections

EDCORE

n00b
Is there a way to route a network connection to a specific application?
What I'm trying to do is this: I have two network connections from my lappy to my gateway/router, one is wireless and the other hardwired... both with different ips and such... I want to leave the wireless for internet and use only the Hardwired, which is obviously faster than the wireless (1000x54), to transfer files from my desktop to the lappy when I choose to do so. Is there a way to use only the hardwired to transfer the files?
Right now, the stupid windows seems to choose the connection randomly to transfer the files, sometimes using the wireless and other times the hardwired... (which I can chek using comodo firewall by looking at the ip adress, and by the obviously huge time difference between the two!)

Soo, anyone care to chime in?? Many thanks..

I'll get to your question in a second, however, i feel the urge to say this.

This question has been asked hundreds of times. Search first, you'll find tons of info on it.

With that being said, yes and no. The easiest way would be to use a crossover cable directly to the other pc, using a different subnet than what the wireless uses. Although, this would require both pc's to have 2 nic's (wired or wireless).

In all honesty though, if your laptop is being used where it has access to a wired connection, why not just use that? Turn off the wireless and problem solved.

The reason I want to do this is because the lappy needs to be free of the wired connection during most of the day, as I use it on a different location, hence the wireless... though, when I want to transfer the files to my desktop, I bring it over to the wired range, for the much added speed.
Both pc's, the desk and the lap, have dual nics... the lap with gigabit wired and wireless and the desk with dual gigabits. If I connect the lappy wire directly to the desktop, without going through the router, changing only the subnet will do the trick?? I mean, how will windos will deal with that? (sorry for the lack of knowledge on this area... I'm trying to build it up, though)

You will have to map the drives with the IP of the crossover connection. This is the setup i have at home. i have wireless into the router and wired into my file server.

Configure a static IP on each computers NIC. When you use want to use the crossover, you need to map the drive with the IP address.

\\192.168.5.7\mysharefoled$

Map network drive is the fastest way to transfer files. Also make sure you have the NICs set to auto negotiate 1000

Yep, mapping the drive on the lappy with the wired-ip did the trick!
Thanks a bunch, Res! :)

use a program like BridgeChecker

Back