Dual monitor woes

reverendjj

n00b
I have an H77N-wifi Core I5 with one DVI-I port and two HDMI ports. I would like to explain my configuration first and then discuss the issue. The OS is OSX El Capitan.

The DVI port connects to a VGA monitor. One of the HDMI ports connects to an HDMI switch that feeds my TV as a “monitor”. The HDMI switch also has a ROKU type device and an analog TV reception device connected to it.

Issue #1 -
When booting the system while selecting the computer, I see both “monitors” working in mirror mode. When I choose the menu option to “use as separate display” both “monitors” display the desktop only with no icons and have the menu bar greyed out but still operate in mirror mode and do not act independent of each other.

Issue #2 -
When switching the HDMI switch to another source, eg., ROKU or TV, the VGA monitor goes to “no signal” but the TV monitor displays the appropriate selection.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I did that already. I appears to be some sort of conflict with VGA.
More info for you.
When I swap out the VGA monitor for one with DVI everything works as planned

The DVI cable used for the DVI monitor is a DVI-I (dual link) cable. The cable I have for the DVI to VGA monitor is a DVI-I (single link). See the link provided to show the descriptions. https://components101.com/connectors/dvi-connector

All those signals on the missing pins are HDMI related so they would have no effect on VGA. Do you agree?

More info for you.
When I swap out the VGA monitor for one with DVI everything works as planned

The DVI cable used for the DVI monitor is a DVI-I (dual link) cable. The cable I have for the DVI to VGA monitor is a DVI-I (single link). See the link provided to show the descriptions. https://components101.com/connectors/dvi-connector

All those signals on the missing pins are HDMI related so they would have no effect on VGA. Do you agree?
i think so but what im suspesting is that the boards dvi is digital only, maybe, so it doesnt want to adapt correctly. i would suggest trying a driver update but since its a hackintoch idk is there would be one.

i think so but what im suspesting is that the boards dvi is digital only, maybe, so it doesnt want to adapt correctly. i would suggest trying a driver update but since its a hackintoch idk is there would be one.
Well, wow, get this $#|T. All the sudden everything is working as planned. could there possibly be that much lag time for the video card to figure it out? I've yet to reboot the system to see if it actually works or if it's a fluke. We shall see. But not now.

Well, wow, get this $#|T. All the sudden everything is working as planned. could there possibly be that much lag time for the video card to figure it out? I've yet to reboot the system to see if it actually works or if it's a fluke. We shall see. But not now.
re-booted. now it's all f 'ed up again

The mouse behavior now suggests or behaves like there is an extended window to the left although it does not appear on a different monitor. Strange. Still have only mirrored monitors
After some cable diving I found a DVI-I to HDMI cable and sure enough, there was a screen to the left that I could not access when I went to “view as separate display”. Now I see it. That still doesn’t explain why the VGA connection worked for several hours until I re-booted. Possibly due to a sync issue? Not sure why as it is analog and there is no sync lines on that portion of the cable. At any rate, it seems to be working as I would expect it to.

Back