Dual monitor setup, one for 240hz 24" fps gaming, the other a large 48 oled

chimera991

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone have a setup like this or similar?

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a 240hz 1080 monitor for games like CSGO and for games that I dont really care about the refresh rate the 48" CX would be the way to go.

Or should I just stick to the 48"? I think this will be too big for online fps tho.

240Hz is 240Hz. It's hard to describe to people how fluid that motion is unless they play fps. I've run an asymmetrical dual monitor setup for years for the very reason you're thinking of doing it. I'm in a transition stage at the moment, running two 60Hz screens, but I'm just waiting for my 27" 240Hz 1080p screen to ship from Amazon... if it ever does.

You could always run the OLED at 1080p with no scaling. This puts it into a smaller size in the center of the screen with black bars on sides. Since this requires GPU scaling, you will be limited to 60 Hz until you have a HDMI 2.1 GPU though.

I am actually in this same boat. I did not realize the importance until I started losing in EVERY fps game like Valorant. Dell has a sale and I have a $200 GC that expires tomorrow but they only seem to carry one gsync monitor. Is there one you actually recommend that works for you? It just seems 1080p.... is such a downgrade :(

The CX OLED probably has similar input lag at 120hz to your TN panel at 240hz. You could probably get rid of the "gaming" monitor altogether. LG's OLED TV's are gaming monitors now.

Since I have never owned a 240hz monitor, I cannot speak to the advantages/disadvantages compared to a 120hz or 144hz monitor with VRR. My guess is that the 240hz monitor will provide a better experience to hardcore first person shooter players, simply due to the additional information afforded from the higher refresh.

As far as response time goes, though, LG's OLED TVs @ 120hz are right there with the fastest gaming monitors in terms of input lag. I tested my CX 55" @ 1440p 120hz against my previous Dell 27" 1440p 144hz gsync monitor, and they feel identical when it comes to gaming responsiveness. The only difference is that the CX OLED's picture is far superior.

If you're not a super hardcore/competitive gamer, skip the 240hz monitor and get a CX OLED. They really are that good for gaming.

I have a 55 c9 oled and had a predator 240hz 24 tn. The oled even at 1440 120 just destroys it. Besides the tn looking god awful, oled pixel response makes 120 on the oled look so much quicker. Motion resolution is on another level which adds a lot to the smoothness of what you are seeing. 240hz may be "smooth" but when the screen cant keep up and just looks bad with quick movement whats the point?

I have a 55 c9 oled and had a predator 240hz 24 tn. The oled even at 1440 120 just destroys it. Besides the tn looking god awful, oled pixel response makes 120 on the oled look so much quicker. Motion resolution is on another level which adds a lot to the smoothness of what you are seeing. 240hz may be "smooth" but when the screen cant keep up and just looks bad with quick movement whats the point?

Is it an older 240Hz? The newest ones have even faster panels and can keep up quite well with 240Hz. The other advantage of 240Hz over 120Hz is reduced input latency since the screen is refreshing twice as fast.

Nope was the newest predator 240hz model about 3 months ago the one with .5ms bs. I notice no input difference in oled vs. The 240 but maybe im not good enough to notice. What i do notice is that the oled shits on a 1080p tn panel in every measurable way possible except the actual refresh rate number. And im only doing gaming at 1440p on it now. Once 4k120 is truely here, monitors are dead to me.

Well if we are just talking about motion clarity and response times then yeah there's no way an LCD will be keeping up with an OLED in that regard. Input lag should at least be noticeably lower though.

Well if we are just talking about motion clarity and response times then yeah there's no way an LCD will be keeping up with an OLED in that regard. Input lag should at least be noticeably lower though.

You're talking 3ms vs 6ms. If you notice a 3ms difference at that fast of response time, you've got super human reaction times.

You're talking 3ms vs 6ms. If you notice a 3ms difference at that fast of response time, you've got super human reaction times.

Actually I was more referring to lower lag from refresh rate. At 120hz you are receiving a new frame every 8.3ms while at 240hz it's half of that and it's certainly noticeable. I guess I worded it wrong my bad.

Actually I was more referring to lower lag from refresh rate. At 120hz you are receiving a new frame every 8.3ms while at 240hz it's half of that and it's certainly noticeable. I guess I worded it wrong my bad.

Yes, this is completely true. A 240hz monitor will deliver more information to the user.

Yep. I use a 1440p 240Hz monitor for online gaming and an OLED/Acer X27 for single player stuff.

240Hz is 240Hz. It's hard to describe to people how fluid that motion is unless they play fps. I've run an asymmetrical dual monitor setup for years for the very reason you're thinking of doing it. I'm in a transition stage at the moment, running two 60Hz screens, but I'm just waiting for my 27" 240Hz 1080p screen to ship from Amazon... if it ever does.

How do you guys have them set up/manage swapping between the two? I've been struggling to find a setup I'm happy with. I've ended up with an LG 32GK850G, LG 32UD59, AW3418DW, and AW2518H, and I just can't find any way to set them up (as a dual display setup using any two of them, not all four of them at once) that isn't a humongous compromise or pain in the ass to use. I went to VESA arm mounting which is mediocre at best. I suppose if I had a 10 foot wide desk or something it would be fine, but I don't quite have that much desk real estate.

How do you guys have them set up/manage swapping between the two? I've been struggling to find a setup I'm happy with. I've ended up with an LG 32GK850G, LG 32UD59, AW3418DW, and AW2518H, and I just can't find any way to set them up (as a dual display setup using any two of them, not all four of them at once) that isn't a humongous compromise or pain in the ass to use. I went to VESA arm mounting which is mediocre at best. I suppose if I had a 10 foot wide desk or something it would be fine, but I don't quite have that much desk real estate.

Well, I cheat...I have two different PC's entirely. My 240Hz monitor gets it's own PC +desk while the OLED gets it's own as well.

I have an Ergotron dual arm mount, clamped to the back of my desk. Normally I'm only using one monitor at a time so I just pull the one I want in front of me and move the other off to the side behind it. If I want to use them both, I can position them in a way that they meet up in the center, and mouse back and forth between them. I also like the arm because I sometimes turn the monitor vertical so I can play pinball or certain emulators, etc in the proper aspect ratio.

Back