Dual Monitor Questions

Kid744

Limp Gawd
Searched web and had mixed answers. I know peeps here have done what I plan to do so here goes:
Best setup for dual monitors based on a GTX 780. Monitor I already own is Asus 120 HZ. Connected via dual link DVI. I was going to buy a 1080 second monitor but it will probably only be 60 or 70 hz refresh. So second monitor hdmi @ 60 hz or stick with DVI connection for second monitor?

I also have always understood that using dual monitors when gaming halves the video memory. Is that still true with modern cards?

TIA

Kid

Searched web and had mixed answers. I know peeps here have done what I plan to do so here goes:
Best setup for dual monitors based on a GTX 780. Monitor I already own is Asus 120 HZ. Connected via dual link DVI. I was going to buy a 1080 second monitor but it will probably only be 60 or 70 hz refresh. So second monitor hdmi @ 60 hz or stick with DVI connection for second monitor?

I also have always understood that using dual monitors when gaming halves the video memory. Is that still true with modern cards?

TIA

Kid
HDMI at 60Hz is fine alongside your 120 Hz monitor. If you're running an extended desktop then each display can run at a separate resolution and/or refresh rate.

I don't know where you heard that last line, but that is entirely untrue. VRAM will be allocated to anything creating a framebuffer, so if all you have running is one fullscreen game then all VRAM on the card will be made available to that game regardless of how many monitors you have connected.

Im running 120hz screen with a 60hz on the side. You will be fine.

Dl dvi for 120hz and dvi for 60hz. Hdmi on the 60hz is often populated by a different source. :D

I'm running 2 screens from my 780s, both plugged into the top card. 1440p/144hz screen via displayport, and 1080p/60hz on hdmi. Also run sound through hdmi to the 1080 screen.

As said above, you will be fine.

Thanks to all for the answers. Now to score a monitor deal on a 24 or 23.5....

Kid

Back