Dual monitor question

I am currently running the rig as listed in my sig but will be going SLI 770's tomorrow. My main monitor is a Benq XL2411T that I run at 120hz.

I tried adding a second monitor (an older Dell 2007fp) just to use for desktop purposes while gaming on my main screen but when I fire up BF4 on the main screen it makes the secondary screen go black as if it brought up the game.

I would like to have my main screen be my game and have the cursor locked to that screen while ingame but I want the secondary screen just to stay at desktop showing whatever is on it like teamspeak or monitoring programs.

Is this possible and if so can someone tell me how?

I've been gaming on one screen with my multi screen setup for 13 years now and all the games I've played shows the desktop on the other screens with the game showing on the main monitor.
It's been this way since day 1. I don't have a 120hz and 60hz monitor paired together, so I can't test 120 and 60 together, but that may be what is happening on your system, but I can't verify.
Can you try 60hz on both screens and see if that changes anything?

game-setup2.jpg

game-setup.jpg

BF2 in 2005

Last edited:
You might have to go to the NVIDIA control panel and change the SLI configuration to activate all displays.

The same thing happens to me with BF4. You have to disable Aero for it to stay on. With certain games sometimes it makes the extra monitors stay black. No clue why.

If you don't know how to disable it (win 7), Right click Computer icon -> Properties -> Advanced system settings -> under Advanced tab, click Settings in Performance -> uncheck Enable desktop composition.

Strange that bf4 does it for you since there is an option on battlelog to use the browser as a large map when playing the game, it's called the battlescreen.
I've used the following cards in my machine, 9800gt, gtx260, gtx285, HD5850, hd6950, and currently an HD7970 with no issues.

Back