Dual monitor issue

w4ffles

2[H]4U
I just switched to a GTX 460 from a Radeon HD4850. My main monitor is a Dell 2001FP and my secondary monitor is a TCL 40" LED backlit TV. When I have full screen games running on the primary monitor, full screen youtube videos on the secondary aren't displayed. The screen stays black but the audio plays. I didn't have this issue on the 4850. Does anyone else have this issue or know of a fix? Could this be an issue with the new Firefox?

Last edited:
What are your settings in the Nvidia control panel. Specifically Manage 3D settings > Multidisplay/mixed-GPU acceleration?

Oh and those full screen games are they Dx or Open Gl? Or both? Have you tried anything besides firefox?

I have had a number of nvidia Gpu's and never have had this issue. Skipped the 400's though.

What is the resolution of the 40" And what port is it connected to? Hdmi? Dvi? Are you using the TV out?

For Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration, it's set to "Multiple display performance mode".

I was playing WoW, which is directX. I also tried Bastion and had the same issue.

The 40" TV is running at 1920x1080 over HDMI.

It's not just firefox though. I tried internet explorer and had the same problem. Even with nothing open, the screen will turn black. I'd rather not play in windowed mode because I may click off-screen.

I just switched to a GTX 460 from a Radeon HD4850. My main monitor is a Dell 2001FP and my secondary monitor is a TCL 40" LED backlit TV. When I have full screen games running on the primary monitor, full screen youtube videos on the secondary aren't displayed. The screen stays black but the audio plays. I didn't have this issue on the 4850. Does anyone else have this issue or know of a fix? Could this be an issue with the new Firefox?

Your problem is the video overlay settings, the problem is I haven't used a geforce card and updated drivers in almost a year. Look in the nvidia control panel for video overlay settings and post back what options you have or if you want try different options there while you have a video playing on the tv and you should be able to fix it. I used to troubleshoot that issue quite a bit back in the day when I worked for a nvidia aib partner. I'm sure 95 driver revisions later that it's located in a entirely different place in the nvidia control panel so I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the tip, but I can't find anything that resembles video overlay settings. The only video-related settings I see are for color and scaling. I'm using the latest drivers, 280.26. It's been quite a few years since I last had a Nvidia card. I'm assuming there aren't any hidden settings since there isn't an "Advanced Mode" button anymore.

From the release note current version nvidia driver:

Unsupported Features
The following are features and functionality that were available in driver releases
supporting Windows XP, but are not–and will not be–available in driver releases for
Windows Vista: (and 7)

 OpenGL Video Overlays
This is an operating system limitation.
Vista window manager features will provide new ways of accomplishing overlays, but
will require application porting.

OK, I just loaded up City of Heroes (open GL) and youtube. Picked a random link and had both playing full screen. (see sig for details)

One note, both my monitors are plugged into DVI. Maybe try that? I know HDMI has some 'security' features to prevent digital copies, maybe that is the problem?

That really sucks. Thanks for pointing that out though. I guess I'll just wait until they release a workaround or I can use an older driver.

I'll try using the other DVI port with an adapter, but HDCP shouldn't apply to youtube AFAIK.

update
Switching to DVI didn't change anything. :(

Which drivers are you using, Elf_Boy?

Last edited:
Try calling MSI's tech support. They should know how to fix this quickly. One thing I remember when I did support is these type of issues came up multiple times a day to the point where I knew how to fix it by heart. Even across different driver versions and OS's.

I just tried with my machine connected to a XL2410T monitor via DVI and a Sony Bravia 46" via HDMI. First I ran an Youtube video via Firefox 7 full screen, where the youtube video was playing on the extended monitor. Then I loaded up COD - Black ops on the primary monitor in full screen. Works without a problem.

285.38 drivers on W7 - 64- bits, GTX 570. All video settings are on Nvidia defaults.

Note that I also use Flash 11 alpha, since there is some compatibility issues with the new 28X.XX drivers and Flash 10.

Tried Flash 11 with the 280.26 drivers: no luck, flash player plugin also crashes

Tried Flash 11 with the 285.38 drivers: still no luck and flash player crashes

Went back to Flash 10 with the 285.38 drivers: still no luck but the flash player doesn't crash

I'll try tech support when I get home from school tonight.

Hmm.

I am using Nv Driver 285.38 Beta I think

Not sure what version of flash I am using. I just rebuilt this system and did a clean install and updated everything though. May or not have missed flash.

EDIT/Add:

There are TV out functions in the driver/control panel. Are you using that or is it being treated as a monitor? Just wondering if that could be it.

Calling tech support -- if you can deal with the script jockeys -- might be worth it.

Last edited:
Back