Dual Link DVI-D to HDMI 1440p adapter?

edo101

Limp Gawd
Hi guys, I have an old X58 bios system that I use mainly. It has a GTX 1080 TI SC BE which luckly has a DVI-D port. My issue is that Nvidia's 10xx series and onwards don't support BIOS natively so you can only boot up with HDMI or DVI and not DP. I have a dell monitor thats 1440p and I'd love to be able to get a passive or non expensive active adpater that can feed it 1440p. At least for now till I hopefully upgrade my build down the road. Biderectional would be a cool perk.

Everything I've seen caps out at 1920x1200

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
What monitor are we talking about here that only comes with DP? Sounds as trashy as a USB-C only monitor!

And if you don't min d a little fuzzy output, there's always DisplayLink USB3 adapters.

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Disp...=1&keywords=displaylink&qid=1589692602&sr=8-5

You're not going to find Dual-link DVI to DP adapters (no demand for a reverse-adapter..)

It't not the monitor that is the issue. Monitor is a Dell U2515H. It has all the ports. The issue is that my PC is old. I have BIOS not UEFI and that means my 1080 Ti can only boot through DVI-D or HDMI. The HDMI is already taken by my OLED TV. I don't want to turn it on and off all the time to boot up. So I neeed a DVI-D to HDMI or DP adapter that hopefully can do 1440p. If this is not possible I'll just stick to 1080p for now till I upgrade to a newer computer

It't not the monitor that is the issue. Monitor is a Dell U2515H. It has all the ports. The issue is that my PC is old. I have BIOS not UEFI and that means my 1080 Ti can only boot through DVI-D or HDMI. The HDMI is already taken by my OLED TV. I don't want to turn it on and off all the time to boot up. So I neeed a DVI-D to HDMI or DP adapter that hopefully can do 1440p. If this is not possible I'll just stick to 1080p for now till I upgrade to a newer computer

The adapter I linked you will work around the issue for you. DisplayLink runs independent of your onboard video card's outputs, and will just use a virtual display from your GTX 1080, routed over USB (compressed video). It's only downside is it's not so clear for fast--moving content (but the USB3 is a lot higher-fidelity than the original USB2 models)

https://www.displaylink.com/products

Your other option is to run the monitor at 1440 30hz over DVI to HDMI you already have! Just create a custom resolution!

im a bit confused about needing a display to boot. Are you saying it won't boot without a display attached, or that you need to see the boot process?

if it's just hanging on boot, get a DVI dummy plug, once in windows, disable that "display ".

im a bit confused about needing a display to boot. Are you saying it won't boot without a display attached, or that you need to see the boot process?

if it's just hanging on boot, get a DVI dummy plug, once in windows, disable that "display ".
A dummy DVI port? What if I need to access the bios to change settings? And no to clarify. For Nvidia cards, 1xxx seriesn and up, if you are not on UEFI, your card needs to boot from DVI or HDMI. If not it won't boot at all. NO signal.

The adapter I linked you will work around the issue for you. DisplayLink runs independent of your onboard video card's outputs, and will just use a virtual display from your GTX 1080, routed over USB (compressed video). It's only downside is it's not so clear for fast--moving content (but the USB3 is a lot higher-fidelity than the original USB2 models)

https://www.displaylink.com/products

Your other option is to run the monitor at 1440 30hz over DVI to HDMI you already have! Just create a custom resolution!

I wasn't sure if it could do reverse. Again,, my port is DVI-D. I need it to go from DVI-D to HDMI. or DVI-D to DP. I've been in a situation where it was not reversible. In that the listing said HDMI to DVI-D and it didn't work for the reverse

I wasn't sure if it could do reverse. Again,, my port is DVI-D. I need it to go from DVI-D to HDMI. or DVI-D to DP. I've been in a situation where it was not reversible. In that the listing said HDMI to DVI-D and it didn't work for the reverse

YOU CAN convert DVI to HDMI, with a cable like this:.

https://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Speed-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B009W8EWOG?th=1

As long as the cable is rated fast enough, it could run this things a full speed 1440p 60 hz. But if it fails, I guarantee it will run at 1440p 30 hz , using a custom resolution

Nvidia DVI ports are supposed to support the exact same max signaling speed as their HDMI port (on the same card). Butt making that happen requires fast cables.

Last edited:
YOU CAN convert DVI to HDMI, with a cable like this:.

https://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Speed-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B009W8EWOG?th=1

As long as the cable is rated fast enough, it could run this things a full speed 1440p 60 hz. But if it fails, I guarantee it will run at 1440p 30 hz , using a custom resolution

Nvidia DVI ports are supposed to support the exact same max signaling speed as their HDMI port (on the same card). Butt making that happen requires fast cables.

Is there an adapter version of this? So I can attach any lenth of high speed HDMI cable to it?

Is there an adapter version of this? So I can attach any lenth of high speed HDMI cable to it?

Yes, certainly, but you're less likely to find a hi-speed adapter (you're just taking your chances on 1440p at 60)

That, and you know the adapter I linked goes up to 35 feet, right? They're just sold-out of the 6 foot model.

You know what you need to do, and it's up to you to decide what to buy - just know you can't get above 1080p 60hz on HDMI without a high-speed cable (that includes the converter, and the HDMI cable itself)

Last edited:
have you tried a regular old dvid to hdmi adapter, like the ones that come with the cards? roommate has two in use no prob.

Yes, certainly, but you're less likely to find a hi-speed adapter (you're just taking your chances on 1440p at 60)

That, and you know the adapter I linked goes up to 35 feet, right? They're just sold-out of the 6 foot model.

You know what you need to do, and it's up to you to decide what to buy - just know you can't get above 1080p 60hz on HDMI without a high-speed cable (that includes the converter, and the HDMI cable itself)

Well I went ahead and got it for 16 bucks. More than I wanted to spend but then again I am not sure when I will be abel to upgrade

If the marketing line 1080p ...and beyond turns out to be bullshit, you should still be able to create a custom resolution of 1440p @30 hz.

After you get that to sync, keep moving your refresh rate upwards by 5hz increments (who knows what the limits is?)

Hi guys, I have an old X58 bios system that I use mainly. It has a GTX 1080 TI SC BE which luckly has a DVI-D port. My issue is that Nvidia's 10xx series and onwards don't support BIOS natively so you can only boot up with HDMI or DVI and not DP. I have a dell monitor thats 1440p and I'd love to be able to get a passive or non expensive active adpater that can feed it 1440p. At least for now till I hopefully upgrade my build down the road. Biderectional would be a cool perk.

Everything I've seen caps out at 1920x1200

You don't need an active converter, a simple DVI-D to HDMI cable will work.
I currently use one on my GTX 1070Ti and it works at 4K60 with no problems.

Right, we know you can supply up to HDMI 2.0 speeds with a DVI output on Nvidia GPUs.

Can you point us to the high-speed cable you got working at 4kl? That is always the hard problem to solve...

Right, we know you can supply up to HDMI 2.0 speeds with a DVI output on Nvidia GPUs.

Can you point us to the high-speed cable you got working at 4kl? That is always the hard problem to solve...
a cheapo no name standard hdmi cable

That goes against all the warnings I see and the horror stories of people not being able to get anything beyond 1080p

That goes against all the warnings I see and the horror stories of people not being able to get anything beyond 1080p

IME, once you go past 6ft, you need high quality cables. I helped a friend install a projector and couln't get even 1080p from a cheap 15feet HDMI cable. He ended up buying a high speed 20yd or so cable when the project was finalized.

IME, once you go past 6ft, you need high quality cables. I helped a friend install a projector and couln't get even 1080p from a cheap 15feet HDMI cable. He ended up buying a high speed 20yd or so cable when the project was finalized.

Unfortunately the one I got, the high speed one was 10ft. It was the only one available that could meet my lenght requirements.

Unfortunately the one I got, the high speed one was 10ft. It was the only one available that could meet my lenght requirements.

And llike I said earlier, if it turns out to be too long for10Gbps HDMI 1.4 , it should be able to run at HDMI 1.1 speed at the lowest. That should mean you caan create a custom resolution at 1440p at 30fps.

I have a monoprice dvi to hdmi cable (no adapter) and it runs fine dor boot monitoring. I also have the hdmi 2.0 port in use on the same device for after boot.

And llike I said earlier, if it turns out to be too long for10Gbps HDMI 1.4 , it should be able to run at HDMI 1.1 speed at the lowest. That should mean you caan create a custom resolution at 1440p at 30fps.

Got the cable today. It went straight to 1440p60 so looks like its all good. I might mess around and buy these pair of adapters and see if they work as well. If they don't, I can always return: https://www.amazon.com/Benfei-Bidir...=dual+link+dvi+to+hdmi&qid=1589916928&sr=8-20

What do you think? defaultluser Stoly They do say up to 1080p but the GTX 1080 Ti's DVI-D port does put out higher res

Got the cable today. It went straight to 1440p60 so looks like its all good. I might mess around and buy these pair of adapters and see if they work as well. If they don't, I can always return: https://www.amazon.com/Benfei-Bidir...=dual+link+dvi+to+hdmi&qid=1589916928&sr=8-20

What do you think? defaultluser Stoly They do say up to 1080p but the GTX 1080 Ti's DVI-D port does put out higher res
as far as i always knew, those are just adapting pins as dvi/hdmi are the same shit underneath, same with the cable.

Reactions: Dew
like this
I have one of those, and it does work, but I haven't tested at 4K

NP. I wasn't planning on using these with 4K. Just for my 1440p monitor while I wait for a system upgrade. Ordered. If they work, I'll return the high speed cable. Rather have two adapters for more flexibility.

edo101 Just tested a $1 HDMI to DVI adapter I ordered from China a few years ago, works fine on DVI port of a GTX960 running 4k60 connected to the HDMI port of a Dell U2718Q.

1590093277666.png

edo101 Just tested a $1 HDMI to DVI adapter I ordered from China a few years ago, works fine on DVI port of a GTX960 running 4k60 connected to the HDMI port of a Dell U2718Q.

View attachment 247150
WOW
so why do we hear all these horror stories. I also got these like I said I would and it works fine in 1440p. Looks like my fears were unwarranted: https://www.amazon.com/Benfei-Bidir...79KR/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1
Why you using YCBr isntead of RGB full for SDR?

WOW
so why do we hear all these horror stories. I also got these like I said I would and it works fine in 1440p. Looks like my fears were unwarranted: https://www.amazon.com/Benfei-Bidir...79KR/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

There used to be fear back when HDMI 1.4 waas brand-new, but today they test every single cable quite cheaply for maximum speed. I just haven't helped anyone in a few years, and my memory sucks!

It's cheaper to just reuse the same basic testing for bargain-basement cables, and they mostly use the same components anyway.

If anything,, the mess has always been converting HDMI to dual-link DVI . Not nearly as easy!

I'm guessing this is default. This was a fresh windows install and I just Plugged in. I didn't change any settings at all.

As to what is happening here. HDMI spec is that every HDMI device supports DVI signaling fallback. As you can see in the pic, it's showing HDMI mode. I guess the DVI port is also HDMI capable, so it just switches to HDMI signaling mode and bypasses the need for Dual Link DVI.
Dual link DVI was increasing bandwidth through more conductors, HDMI increases bandwidth through better modulation schemes, spectrum, and clock speed.

Think of Dual link DVI as gigabit Ethernet where we use 8 conductors instead of four in 100 base-t. 10Gbe, like HDMI, just increases the clockrates and spectrum usage, not the number of conductors.

Last edited:
Back