Dual Layer DVD

coastertux

Limp Gawd
Do I really need a dual layer DVD drive? I will use it for backing up and home movies.

No, you don't. If "backing up" involves one-to-one backup of feature-length DVD movies, many DVDs are double layer and you would need a drive and media that supports that kind of recording.

Otherwise, normal DVD recordable hardware and media are cheaper and more abundantly available, and they will meet your needs just fine.

Um, you should be able to answer your own question.

Single layer=4.7 Gb/disk
Dual layer=8.5 Gb/disk

How much room you need/want?

how does dual layer work; i thought that it burned on both sides of the dvdr; i am problably totally off and wrong :p

No, theres 2 layers to each side. On a double sided dvd-r you get 4 layers.

For reference:

Single-sided single-layer= 4.7 GB
Double-sided single-layer = 9.4 GB
Single-sided double-layer= 8.5 GB
Double-sided double-layer = 17 GB

A look at the definition of "dual" quickly dispels any remaining doubt:

dual

1. Composed of two usually like or complementary parts; double: dual controls for pilot and copilot; a car with dual exhaust pipes.
2. Having a double character or purpose: a belief in the dual nature of reality.
3. Grammar. Of, relating to, or being a number category that indicates two persons or things, as in Greek, Sanskrit, and Old English.
A double layer DVD just has two layers instead of one; there is no complementary qualities of the second layer. It's just extra.

As an example, in a dual processor configuration, the second processor works to complement the activities of the first processor.

My point was, and i included all the links to back up my point, is that it doesnt matter what the 'standards body' has decided to call something, if almost everyone has ignored them.

I googled "'dual layer' dvd" and those links were from the 1st 20 out of 317K. I'd say that either name works.

Hey, I just google'd "'double layer'" dvd and you only get 281K hits.

Looks like dual layer is winning lol

Oh, and stop with the stupid old definitions, we're talking real-world <sigh>

I can't believe you continue to rationalize your position in this stupid Internet argument...

Arguing on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics...

xonik said:
I can't believe you continue to rationalize your position in this stupid Internet argument...

Arguing on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics...

LOL,yeah.. let it be already!

Actually...the recording standards state it is double layer, dual format....to avoid confusion between the two. How do I know? I work for a company who participates in the format creatino and standards groups. They use double the talk about the layering, and dual to talk about the formatting (+ or -).

Ignad said:
I googled "'dual layer' dvd" and those links were from the 1st 20 out of 317K. I'd say that either name works.

Hey, I just google'd "'double layer'" dvd and you only get 281K hits.

they reality is that its simply a conspiracy to hinder my research into which burner to get :p

there is always inertia in any name change\modification
my favorite example GiB :p

Back