Dual LAN AM4 Mini ITX

• Thread starter Deleted member 184142
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 184142

Looking to upgrade my router and for the life of me I can't find a dual LAN AM4 Mini ITX mobo, I can find them all day long for Intel, but not AMD, does one exist? I would really like to give AMD a try for this one, but it's looking like that will not happen.

I looked for the same, i dont think they exist. However a buddy of mine suggested that you could use the M2 slot to get another NIC using one of these types of adapters i linked below but i went intel because IMO using this adapter was a bit to mcgyverish for me..

https://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-M2-NW-107-Gigabit-Ethernet-Module/dp/B07599LZ5S

Oh, I have lots of adapters, but I have a custom router build in mind as far as case goes, so I cant use any addon cards etc. Also want to keep it as clean and simple as possible, as well as keeping it all Intel NICs so I don't have any issues with PfSense support.

Trying to do this project and wanting to go AMD, I have noticed that AMD is very lacking in the higher end ITX boards over all, not even talking dual LAN, which makes me sad, I have been looking for a reason to try out AMD and it's looking to be a bust. Think I will search around until Zen2 and if nothing comes up by then I will go with something by Intel.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well you can use single port/VLAN setup for pfSense. But if you are pushing more than 500/500 in both directions then I would not recommend it.

Oh, I have lots of adapters, but I have a custom router build in mind as far as case goes, so I cant use any addon cards etc. Also want to keep it as clean and simple as possible, as well as keeping it all Intel NICs so I don't have any issues with PfSense support.

Trying to do this project and wanting to go AMD, I have noticed that AMD is very lacking in the higher end ITX boards over all, not even talking dual LAN, which makes me sad, I have been looking for a reason to try out AMD and it's looking to be a bust. Think I will search around until Zen2 and if nothing comes up by then I will go with something by Intel.

Yeah i found the same when i looked into it, intel is just so far ahead when it comes to itx mobo's. I ended up with a intel setup with quad intel NIC's for less than it would have cost me just for the mobo/CPU if i went AM4, and if i went AM4 would have been one NIC only, and since i have gigabit internet that wasnt really an option for my pfsense box.

Yeah i found the same when i looked into it, intel is just so far ahead when it comes to itx mobo's. I ended up with a intel setup with quad intel NIC's for less than it would have cost me just for the mobo/CPU if i went AM4, and if i went AM4 would have been one NIC only, and since i have gigabit internet that wasnt really an option for my pfsense box.

Thats me, on fiber as well, my current PfSense box is going fine, but its time to upgrade, and I want to go super small foot print and not the mid tower setup it is now.

Shame Xeons don't usually have iGPU otherwise I bet you could find some old Asrock X99 ones that would be up your alley

Shame Xeons don't usually have iGPU otherwise I bet you could find some old Asrock X99 ones that would be up your alley

Well, part of the reason for the change is an upgrade in power, but also to tinker with an AMD system.

If that doesn't happen I would probably get a used Xeon setup, as I can install PfSense on the bench with a GPU and then install into the slim case and just manage headless.

I'm not sure what case you were planning to use, but I found a neat case that might tick some of your boxes: Velka M 4.0 liter case.
CPU side.jpg GPU side.jpgDSC_0839.jpg
It can support a shortened dual slot add in card.

With an Asrock AM4 ITX motherboard you can use a bifurcated riser and have 2 seperate ethernet add in cards with a ton of NICs.

I'm not sure if that would be quite small enough for you, but it is seriously small for what it can do.

Attachments

• CPU side.jpg
    CPU side.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 0
i've been going down this road for months !!! looking for the exact same setup! MAKE SURE YOU GET INTEL NICs! unless you are doing LAG then make sure have at least 1 Intel NIC but, word is the Intel NICs don't do' weird shit like the non Intel NICs do. Also unless your doing SQM, VPN, Encrypted DNS all at the same time and @ 1Gbps you may likely be able to get by with some of the smaller units like Proctelis and some of those atom/celery zotac boxes.

Some Xeons DO have iGPUs! i've been looking at low wattage Xeons like the T and S series i5s and i7s, BlueIris requires Intel iGpus for quick sync and that's been another factor for my mini server if i want to upgrade form the i7 3770T. even socket 1151 has some iGPU Xeons

http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket_1151_H4_LGA1151.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-H110T-Intel-LGA-H110-1151-Mini-ITX-M-2-Desktop-Motherboard-A/123629929716

still only 1 of 2 nics here is Intel, i see that alot.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back