Dual GPU Quad monitor NON-SLI

slayer9019

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a problem....I want to add 2 more monitors to my rig but am stuck at the moment.
I have a mobo that does not support SLI and I have a 9800GTX+. I was thinking about adding the spare ATI card I have or adding a cheapo 9800GT/GT240. Is that possible?

SPECS

EVGA P55LE mobo
Patriot Viper 4gb
i7 860
XFX GeForce 9800GTX+

Do you have pci-e x1 slots? You can find older quadros pretty cheap.

Any card that can output to 2 monitors should be fine if you are using Win7 or XP. If you are using Vista they have to share the same driver.

yea windows 7. Also just wondering would having another crap card hurt my gaming performance?

It wouldn't hurt it if it's not running the primary display. As far as I know, the secondary display will be disabled in games and only the primary card will be active.

Yeah you can throw in the spare ATI card. Just be careful because Nvidia disables PhysX when it detects ATI cards in your system. So you might have to apply the 'hack' to stop Nvidia from doing its vendor-lock anti-ati thing.

Lot easier if you just add another nvidia card that's supported by the same drivers, something like a 8400GS would work fine and it's cheap.

Back