Dual GPU Folding, how many CPU cores required?

natermeister

Limp Gawd
Lets say I add another GPU to my Opteron 170/X1900XTX box that's on the way. The plan now, with one GPU and two CPU cores is to run the GPU client and one CPU client. If I add another GPU will I have to dump the CPU client in order for the GPUs to run at their best?

The GPU FAQ needs to be a sticky.

Thanks,

-Nater

Lets say I add another GPU to my Opteron 170/X1900XTX box that's on the way. The plan now, with one GPU and two CPU cores is to run the GPU client and one CPU client. If I add another GPU will I have to dump the CPU client in order for the GPUs to run at their best?

The GPU FAQ needs to be a sticky.

Thanks,

-Nater

yes

Marty thinks Tigerbitten had a post aroudn someplace where he tricked things out somone to have 1x client use 100% of a core and the second use ~ 60% of a second core or something like that.

Marty thinks from all reports, the 2nd GPU will take a 15% at least in frame times if not far more. Marty has noticed generally dual GPU folding is a royal bitch w/ cheese on average.

Or so says Marty.

Marty thinks Tigerbitten had a post aroudn someplace where he tricked things out somone to have 1x client use 100% of a core and the second use ~ 60% of a second core or something like that.

Marty thinks(an oxyMORON) from all reports, the 2nd GPU will take a 15% at least in frame times if not far more. Marty has noticed generally dual GPU folding is a royal bitch w/ cheese on average.

Or so says Marty.

but marty doesn't have any duals......they work just fine don't degrade anything..
happily run ~7 min/frame

so zim thinks marty should stick to celerys and stop posting BS....

I see a 15% drop in frame times going from single GPU ~6:15 to dual GPU ~7:10.
There is something in the kernel that only runs single threaded even though it running a dual core setup.
Try setting the affinity of each client to different cores and see what CPU loading you get.
Under XPpro-SP2 I only get ~60% CPU load when running like that.

Luck .............. :D

Back