dual ethernet?

Thermite Paste

Supreme [H]ardness
i bought the epox 8rda3+ from newegg, and it has two ethernet ports built in. I have one hooked up to dsl, but what can i do with the other one? would i be able to network it to another computer at the same time?

yes, with a crossover cable, or if you are running linix or a server os you could do load balancing. And somtimes one is better than the other (like on my one board it's a 3com vs a realtek)

On the A7N8X Deluxe from Asus the onboard Nvidia ethernet is better.

One thing I did with mine is make a router, using windows internet connection sharing. Worked like a charm :)

I had the Asus A7N8X deluxe and I liked having the dual onboard network cards. I sorta miss it.

Zwitterion said:
I had the Asus A7N8X deluxe and I liked having the dual onboard network cards. I sorta miss it.
lol, i dont mean to sound like a grammar freak but doesnt it sound odd to say "onboard network cards" when onboard means no cards?

>=( grammar nazi!

jk jk =p

as far as im concerned dual ethernet would be nice to have for like a gateway/router as someone else in here mentioned or if you run linux (or maybe its possible in Windows with an app dunno) but to have both NIC's connected to a broadband connection (separate aka DSL and Cable...) and have it load balance your internet usage...that would be nice :cool: :D

EDIT: oh and w00t for the forums being back

also if your interested in converting this puter in to a Server... i used SBS2k3 on my system and it allowed Network Load Balancing on it... ;) but i used it as a Router for my NAT/DHCP/FTP Server :) it was a fun toy project that i played with... but dual NIC's are awesome

ok thanks guys.

one more question: can you do internet connection sharing with win 98?

In short, yes, you can do Internet Connection Sharing if you have Windows 98 Second Edition.

the big 2 million dollar question is....why would you want to do it with win98 or 98se AT ALL!???????!??!?!?!!?

I also have the 8rda3+, what happens if I hook up both ports to my router? Load balancing? Would it be faster, or more effiecient?

well if you hooked both to the same router "load balancing" would be a moot point being that the same WAN IP your router uses is still doing all the work...altho maybe you could get some appz to use one NIC and others to use the other one to try and balane things that way...but you still are using the same limited amount of bandwidth your ISP gives to you.

this should be moved to the networking forum...
IMHO all software routers are CRAP except for *nix based ones.
I tried running some and had troubles running this or that or the other no matter what I tried, and yes i know exactly what I am doing. I even tried WinRoute PRO. its great until you find something that it just won't work with... Ex. Asheron's Call: Dark Majesty

after fiddling with it forever I bought a D Link hardware router, and never looked back.

Back