Dual E5-2683v3 build [Warning large & many images]

alucasa

n00b
The purpose of this rig is CPU rendering with Blender & Terragen.

I will mostly let pictures speak for themselves. If you have any questions, kindly ask.

Spec

CPU: 2x E5-2683v3
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10DAL-I-O
Case: Fractal Define C - Window
RAM: HYNIX HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF 8GB
CPU heatsink: 2x ARCTIC Freezer i11
GPU: PNY 1060 6GB
HDDs: 840 EVO (128gb / OS drive) | 850 EVO 256gb (App drive) | 1TB WD blue 2.5inch HDD (Storage backup)

april_3_update_1.jpg

ram.jpg

IMG_1939.JPG

IMG_1930.JPG

IMG_1986.JPG

Wow. Needs moar RAM.

56 threads is pretty cool. 2.0GHz is less cool.

If it does what you need it to do, then awesome.

Wow. Needs moar RAM.

56 threads is pretty cool. 2.0GHz is less cool.

If it does what you need it to do, then awesome.

He said it was for CPU rendering, so more cores will trump clock speed.

That being said, I think having ram for only one CPU is also going to harm performance. Any time the 2nd cpu has to do anything it has to negotiate across the bus to borrow ram from the first. Unless that's changed on the newer platform (my rigs are 1366 Xeons, not 2011), I'd strongly recommend a 2nd pair of matching ram for the other cpu.

Lack of RAM is due to insufficient fund. The setup required 2 months for me gather parts from Ebay and whatnot while looking for bargains.

Currently, each CPU has 8gb RAM, so they are running in single channels. Of course, RAM is upgradeable, so it wasn't my top priority to get all of them at once. Besides, I hardly ever go over 10gb in RAM usage.

The CPU spec says 2.0ghz but all cores turbo to 2.5ghz if temp is stable.

Lack of RAM is due to insufficient fund. The setup required 2 months for me gather parts from Ebay and whatnot while looking for bargains.

Currently, each CPU has 8gb RAM, so they are running in single channels. Of course, RAM is upgradeable, so it wasn't my top priority to get all of them at once. Besides, I hardly ever go over 10gb in RAM usage.

I was fooled by the Ram layout on that board, which is a bit backwards from what I expected. You don't hit over 10gb usage? Is that for Blender? I'm building a small x5650 based rendering farm, and I've specced 12gb/cpu for now, but I don't know what the actual ram usage would be yet.

I hardly go over 10gb in Blender. I don't think many go over 10gb. Even Dan Brown CGI's render don't usually go over 10gb.

If I were you, I'd just go with Ryzen 1800k instead of two x5650.

I hardly go over 10gb in Blender. I don't think many go over 10gb. Even Dan Brown CGI's render don't usually go over 10gb.

I'm doing 8 x5650s :) It's a toy cluster so it won't just be blender. Good to know that the memory isn't a big deal.

Seriously. A ~4GHz Ryzen 7 pretty much ties a pair of X5690 with slight turbo, while used WAAAAY less power and running on a much more modern platform.

If I didn't already have quad X5690s (which still pack a helluva punch for parallel compute jobs), I'd build a couple of Ryzen 7 rigs.

He said it was for CPU rendering, so more cores will trump clock speed.

That being said, I think having ram for only one CPU is also going to harm performance. Any time the 2nd cpu has to do anything it has to negotiate across the bus to borrow ram from the first. Unless that's changed on the newer platform (my rigs are 1366 Xeons, not 2011), I'd strongly recommend a 2nd pair of matching ram for the other cpu.

His board supports NUMA which I think would prevent this from happening whenever it can, assuming he is running a supported OS? I'm not sure if NUMA would require all memory slots to be equally filled though.

I like that the mobo is a standard ATX, not EATX. I am currently using an EATX board and it required me to cut away parts of the case (Lian Li A05) and drill new holes for spacers.

Having said that, my previous build used a dual Supermicro board which overheated since the chipset heatsinks were too small for passive cooling. Do you observe heat issues in your build?

The rig is still alive and well. I've added 2 more sticks of RAM now, so each CPU has 16gb RAM. (Total of 32gb)

There is no temp issue since the rig hasn't shut down even with rendering after a year.

While I have an upgrade itch, there isn't anything better with the price range as well as power usage.

I have 128gb of Samsung 2133 ECC Registered (4x32gb)

If you're interested let me know. I don't see many setups here that could actually utilize it.

I have 128gb of Samsung 2133 ECC Registered (4x32gb)

If you're interested let me know. I don't see many setups here that could actually utilize it.

Thanks for the offer, but I barely use 10gb from rendering... I simply got two more sticks to enable dual channel.

Back