Dual DVI, why so hard to find?

I use dual monitors, and my current card is a GTX660 with dual DVI outputs. I am looking for a replacement, but it seems that finding a dual-DVI card is very hard to find. I see most have a single DVI and also a DisplayPort now - is there a solution for that to use dual monitors? I am kind of ignorant on DisplayPort. Would I just connect one monitor to the DVI and then use an adapter to use the DisplayPort? Or would I use both DisplayPorts with DVI adapters for my monitors?

Thanks all

What monitors are you driving that requires dual DVI? Or do you mean you just need 2 DVI ports? Because dual DVI and two DVI ports have different meanings. Confusing, I know.

Most GPUs now have displayport and HDMI. HDMI uses the exact same protocol as DVI, just adds sound on top. HDMI to DVI converters are cheap and found everywhere. Modern HDMI ports should be capable of driving dual DVI as well, if that is necessary for your monitors. Usually HDMI to DVI adapters are bundled with the GPU.

As for DisplayPort, if your monitor does not need dual DVI, then a passive DisplayPort to DVI adapter is all you need, which are also fairly inexpensive and are often bundled with the GPU. If you need dual DVI, then an expensive active DisplayPort to dual DVI adapter is necessary.

Also, for clarification, the correct terminology for dual DVI is dual link DVI for driving high resolution/high refresh rate monitors.

Thank you so much for the info. My monitors are Dell Ultrasharp U2412M displays (24 inch, 1920x1200). I just checked and each monitor has a DisplayPort connection. Stupid me for assuming I didn’t. So in this case I can just not worry about connecting a monitor to the DVI connector on the video cars and just use two DisplayPort connections for each monitor?

1920x1200, 60 hz, you don't need dual-link DVI. Using HDMI or passive DisplayPort to DVI adapters will work, or as you stated, DisplayPort as well.

Thank you so much everybody. That clears everything up for me. I've been busy with work and other things so I haven't kept up to date on current GPU stuff. I really appreciate it!

Back