Dual Dell 34" 1440p Ultrawide for work/productivity?

craigdt

[H]ard|Gawd
Coming from a quad 23" 1080p setup, and looking for a more simple setup.

I am considering a dual, 34" 1440p ultrawide setup, and am hoping that each monitor will provide enough width for a good side-by-side experience for spreadsheets.

Mostly run spreadsheets, Chrome windows, email, etc, but I like to have several open at once for visibility.

Any feedback?

Edit- I've used 27" 1440p in the past, and they just dont quite have the width to comfortably run split windows for a spreadsheet.

Was thinking these Dell ones:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-34-curved-ultrawide-monitor-u3415w/apd/210-adtr
monitor-dell-ultrasharp-34-pdp-love-01.jpg

It's all about pixels, so I guess it depends on which version of 1440p you're talking about. The Dell you link states it does 3440x1440. It looks like 1440p can be 1920, 2304, 2560, etc. I doubt the 27" models you were using were 3440, so that should give you some extra width from what you were using before. I have a pair of 32" Omens running 2560x1440, and I don't spreadsheet all day but I am pretty happy with them and it gives decent real estate.

It's all about pixels, so I guess it depends on which version of 1440p you're talking about. The Dell you link states it does 3440x1440. It looks like 1440p can be 1920, 2304, 2560, etc. I doubt the 27" models you were using were 3440, so that should give you some extra width from what you were using before. I have a pair of 32" Omens running 2560x1440, and I don't spreadsheet all day but I am pretty happy with them and it gives decent real estate.

I guess I need to make sure I'm thinking about this right.

Yes, my 27's were 2560x1440.
This one is 3440x1440.

So, I will have more working width on a spreadsheet (more columns...), and not just the same as my 27's, just with a stretched, larger picture.
3440 means more horizontal working space... right?

I actually test drove the 49" and I thought I would love it, but it was just not curved enough for me- too dang wide.
I thought the 2 34's, I could angle a bit more.
I have the 34" you linked in the OP and it's not that curved.
There are others that have more curve to them. you probably want 1000R or so.

I was looking at getting this screen, but it was recalled right before release,
https://www.samsung.com/sg/monitors/odyssey-g9/
You can see what 1000R curve looks like, there is an overhead shot in the sample pics.

Gave my wife my old 34” LG and she loves being able to see something like 50 readable columns on it. People at her company love to make stupid wide sheets for every vaguely linked detail they can find.

I guess I need to make sure I'm thinking about this right.

Yes, my 27's were 2560x1440.
This one is 3440x1440.

So, I will have more working width on a spreadsheet (more columns...), and not just the same as my 27's, just with a stretched, larger picture.
3440 means more horizontal working space... right?

Yep, that's exactly right. I think maybe we lost some translation when people started just calling things "1080p", etc. The actual pixel dimensions mean something, so going from 2560 to 3440 is actually a pretty decent jump in pixel width and will give you more columns on your spreadsheet. This is assuming you're not setting an artificial zoom on your UI.

That's why so many of us were unhappy when 1080p became a monitor standard, as we lost so many in the 24-27" range that used to be 1200 pixels tall (120 pixels made a big difference). Fortunately 1440p became a thing.

I've tried dual ultrawides but it is a LOT of horizontal space to cover so I feel like I'm not using the far edges very efficiently. I've changed to using 4 x 27" 4K but with one of them in portrait.

No way could I do side by side us for work. You have to move too much that you end up just using the middle anyway.

stacked is fine especially if you have decent monitor arms.

Having the bottom one at an angle is ‘best’ but depends on desk and can be weird depending on the monitor radius as it causes gaps

I use an x34 with a 27" I turn sideways for productivity.

Id want a larger desk for a pair of ultrawides with a sideways 27" if I needed to babysit more processes.

Update-

I did get 2 of these set up and its quite nice.
Had to perform some monkey business to get them to do PBP to simulate 4 monitors.

Guess I can post pics if anybody cares

Update-

I did get 2 of these set up and its quite nice.
Had to perform some monkey business to get them to do PBP to simulate 4 monitors.

Guess I can post pics if anybody cares
sure, post some pics so we can check them out.

Curious. Windows Fancy Zones is nice for multitasking stuff with a lot of real estate.

Used the Dell PBP Full setting, plus a 1720x1440 resolution for each of the (4) monitors using the NVIDIA control panel.

4 Mini Display port out from my Quadro P620 small form GPU stuffed in my Dell Precision 3430 SFF.
1 DP and 1 HDMI input in each monitor.

I am extremely happy with this set up.
Easy to manage the plethora of open windows and the 1720 width is perfect for side by side spreadsheets.

65" wide

CNYrGBZ.jpg

Slight curve:
XZPTZ9z.jpg

Back