dual core showing as single

spin02

Limp Gawd
I have a dell latitude D620. This is my first dual core. In the task manager it only shows 1CPU. Does the core duo display duals as a single or is there a way to enable both?

I dont think one would be 'disabled' per se...i dont even think running it off the battery would display only one...:confused:

i dunno man, unless someone else has a better opinion (and after reading what I wrote, that wont be too hard :eek: ), I might call Dell and see whats up...

A Core Duo is only a single core processor. A Core 2 Duo is a dual core processor. The Duo basically indicates the new technology/family of processors.

A Core Duo is only a single core processor. A Core 2 Duo is a dual core processor. The Duo basically indicates the new technology/family of processors.

That's not true, the "Duo" is Intel's branding for Dual Core. Core Solo branded processors have one core.

Core Duo = 32bit
Core 2 Duo = 64bit

The Core 2 Duo also offers an increase in available L2 cache from 2MB to 4MB.

As for the original question, check the BIOS. The system listing should show you if the processor supports dual core operation.

Is task manager set to display one graph per CPU under CPU history? Simplest problem is usually the easiest fix.

Download CPU-Z

At the very bottom of the first tab (next to processor select) It will show you how many cores you have.

Hope this helps!

Core -> Family of Processors
Core Solo = 1 core
Core Duo = 2 cores

Core 2 -> 2nd generation of Core processors
Core 2 Solo = 1 core
Core 2 Duo = 2 cores

get it? got it? gooood. :)

I got it, but I don't want to. I get it, but I still don't want to. Anyway, thank you for correcting me.

Yeah, I was staring to get the impression that you really had a Core Solo as I lurked over this thread nd gafawed at the Core Duo being a single core comment. Glad that confussion got sorted out.

I was under the impression that all the d620's were shipping with dual-core processors. I'm typing on one now, and it has a dualie (non core 2 duo, however).

Mine was originally showing as only one core, but that was because the image we were using. There are some tweaks you can do to get it to show as both if it truly has both.

I was under the impression that all the d620's were shipping with dual-core processors. I'm typing on one now, and it has a dualie (non core 2 duo, however).

Mine was originally showing as only one core, but that was because the image we were using. There are some tweaks you can do to get it to show as both if it truly has both.

I like to think that even Dell figured out how to put SMP into all of it's images but I could be wrong...

Do tell about the tweaks. This is my work computer, but I still would like to use both cores if possible.

You could get your ass canned for screwing with a work PC.

If the corporate image your company provides gets you one core, then that's all you can do.

did you check to make sure it is set up to display two graphs in the task manager?

Go to view->CPU history->One graph per CPU

I'm fairly sure that all d620s come with dual core processors, and have since they first came out... so there would be no way that it wouldn't recognize both by default.

they are using a image from a single core pc. you modify it and i guess we'll hear about your unemployment woos. best choice is to ask if they are going to get a dual core image.

other than that dont F with it

not that I endorse this line of action...

but...

I took an image from a single Athlon 64 3000+ system, and installed it successfully on dual Opteron system.

You should be able to go into the BIOS, enable the 2nd core, and have it work properly. I know I've enable Hyperthreading on some of the P4 systems at work that had it disabled without having to rebuild the image, or having any issues from it, it found the second CPU or thread just fine.

Na, If it isn't just a simple fix, I am not going to mess with it. I will inquire about a dual core image.

Thanks again to everyone.

Back