Dual core HTPC for $275!?

taylorwilsdon

2[H]4U
Basically the cost of an appletv (which I've already got, looking for something with a little more functionality) and it should replicate the functions and then more. Am I missing anything? Motherboard has a fairly strong integrated graphics (as far as integrated nvidia graphics go) and it does have DVI.

Should be pretty fast right? I already have an optical drive for the OS install, the case will be made out of a gutted CD player that matches my home theater, I already own the operating system. I have 500gb in harddrives that would be attached as NAS or perhaps by USB hidden away somewhere that would store my media.

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
$49.99

Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W Power Supply - Retail
$25.99 After Rebate

OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
$51.99 After Rebate

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+(65W) Windsor 2.2GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO4200CUBOX - Retail

BIOSTAR TForce TF7025-M2 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
$142.99 Combo for CPU+Mobo

You haven't mentioned whether or not you'll be going after HD content, or whether you'll just be using SD for now. In either case, you'll need a tuner card. But what you have listed will work just fine. You *might* think about getting a 7050-based board if possible, as the graphics are somewhat better (I'm a little fuzzy on the details).

id say that should be just about right but you need a dvd-r atleast to backup if need be...maybe not just my opion

Believe me when I say I understand cost objectives, but if you have any sort of decent paying job (meaning that your time is not worthless) you'll thank yourself later if you opt for a larger hard drive. A 500GB drive will run you about an extra $50 on sale, and honestly, if somebody kicked down my door and demanded $50 or else I had to reinstall my HTPC, I'd give them the money.

A small drive (<200GB) will suffice for SD, but WHEN (and I assure you it's a matter of time for everbody) you make the jump to HD, you'll wish you had more disk.

/my two cents.

Believe me when I say I understand cost objectives, but if you have any sort of decent paying job (meaning that your time is not worthless) you'll thank yourself later if you opt for a larger hard drive. A 500GB drive will run you about an extra $50 on sale, and honestly, if somebody kicked down my door and demanded $50 or else I had to reinstall my HTPC, I'd give them the money.

A small drive (<200GB) will suffice for SD, but WHEN (and I assure you it's a matter of time for everbody) you make the jump to HD, you'll wish you had more disk.

/my two cents.

The OP was a little jumbled so its an easy miss. I already have about 500gb in NAstorage that I use with my existing computers. I record my shows in HD and they're usually about 2GB for a 30min show.

Back