Dual Core Gaming Fix Guide

Trying to get WoW to work properly with my dual-core rig. I've done Fix #2 and Fix #3 will not work since WoW doesn't let you change the affinity. According to the OP Fix #1 just causes more issues with WoW so I didn't even try it. Any ideas?

Andrmgic said:
I had a fresh install with my dual core from day 1, and I at first did not have any issues.. however, eventually I got the "benny hill effect" in NFS:MW demo.. then I installed Microsoft's hotfix and the problems went away. I have been unable to try HL 2 or CS:S because I have to use dial-up to connect to Steam (only broadband in my room is wireless, and all of the ports Steam and all of my other games need are blocked).
Yes I spoke too soon. It played great right off the bat. Just tried it a few hours later (haven't even rebooted) and it now plays with the Benny Hill efect (BennyHill show theme music in background)

fiewtoid said:
Trying to get WoW to work properly with my dual-core rig. I've done Fix #2 and Fix #3 will not work since WoW doesn't let you change the affinity. According to the OP Fix #1 just causes more issues with WoW so I didn't even try it. Any ideas?

Did you try Fix#3 with one of the "launcher" programs? Also, did you ENABLE the hotfix by putting 1 in the registry as opposed to 0?

*sigh* this thread makes me hesitant to go with dual cores. I want to just be able to install a game and go. Might as well get a really fast single core proc, since I don't multitask too much, it is cheaper, and games and drivers that EFFECTIVELY utilize dual cores won't be released for some time now (game developers are hesitant to develop multithreaded code because it is a huge pain in the ass...). It isn't an easy task to write multithreaded code.....Carmack himself despises it.

Leright said:
*sigh* this thread makes me hesitant to go with dual cores. I want to just be able to install a game and go. Might as well get a really fast single core proc, since I don't multitask too much, it is cheaper, and games and drivers that EFFECTIVELY utilize dual cores won't be released for some time now (game developers are hesitant to develop multithreaded code because it is a huge pain in the ass...). It isn't an easy task to write multithreaded code.....Carmack himself despises it.

Well, once you do the fixes, you can install and go (with the exception of setting the affinity ;) ). Honestly, I rarely have problems with games now with the hotfix. I would say that the hotfix is probably the single most important fix you can do with games.

I think we're at the tail end of major issues. The end of this year is as far as software developers are going to be able to go before they have to at least make software compatible, even if it doesn't actually use the other core. After the holidays there are going to be a trainload of dual core systems out there, and from what I've seen, there are plenty of people willing to early adopt this technology which makes it a done deal.

Advil said:
I think we're at the tail end of major issues. The end of this year is as far as software developers are going to be able to go before they have to at least make software compatible, even if it doesn't actually use the other core. After the holidays there are going to be a trainload of dual core systems out there, and from what I've seen, there are plenty of people willing to early adopt this technology which makes it a done deal.

Yes, with newer games, but those of us that rip out the "oldies" will always have problems I fear. Fortunately, I did hear that the hotfix will be incorporated into WinXP SP3 if it's ever released, and probably in Vista too I would imagine.

I might just go with a single core opteron 150 (2.4 ghz) for now, and then in like 1.5 years, after developers demonstrate that they are willing to suffer through the multithreaded app development process for dual core systems, I will upgrade. But right now, the multithreaded video drivers a poor dual processor support in games is not worth the extra cost, and a fast signle core solution is likely the best bet RIGHT NOW....of course, if you're big on multitasking, then dual core rules, but I am either playing a game, writing a report, working on a spreadsheet, checking email, browsing the web, or watching a DVD. I never do all of these simultaneously. :p Occasionally I will listen to MP3s while I write a paper, or browse the web, but nothing that will bring my single core to its knees.

for now, I am relatively confident single core is for me. I have been weighing my options for a month now, and I just need to pick something and go with it. I think I will just settle with a single core solution.

Leright said:
I might just go with a single core opteron 150 (2.4 ghz) for now, and then in like 1.5 years, after developers demonstrate that they are willing to suffer through the multithreaded app development process for dual core systems, I will upgrade. But right now, the multithreaded video drivers a poor dual processor support in games is not worth the extra cost, and a fast signle core solution is likely the best bet RIGHT NOW....of course, if you're big on multitasking, then dual core rules, but I am either playing a game, writing a report, working on a spreadsheet, checking email, browsing the web, or watching a DVD. I never do all of these simultaneously. :p Occasionally I will listen to MP3s while I write a paper, or browse the web, but nothing that will bring my single core to its knees.

for now, I am relatively confident single core is for me. I have been weighing my options for a month now, and I just need to pick something and go with it. I think I will just settle with a single core solution.

That is true, but you're missing out on the whole smooth world of dual core ;). I see no reason to get a high end single core when you can OC a 3800+ X2 or 165/170 to 2.5Ghz or so. You get the best of both worlds. I wouldn't go back to single core now that I've had dual. Even with these minor gaming problems (none of which I haven't been able to fix), I'm still happy.

I try to install the processor driver listed but everytime I try it says I already have it installed, for me to roll back the driver... I dont have the 1.2.2 one installed but a 1.1.0.0... how can I install the 1.2.2

everything I have tried seems to be a complete failure... any advice ??

Well, you can uninstall your AMD driver (Add/Remove programs) and reinstall the new one.

Or you can just add the /usepmtimer switch to your boot.ini file. For gaming purposes, that's what's really important.

dont know how to do that :)... the noobie under my name is there for a reason...

and I removed the drivers... but it still didnt work <edit: ok for some reason it worked that time.. sigh... SOOO STUPID... > :)

Ok...Right Click My Computer
Properties
Advanced Tab
Startup and Recovery -> Settings
To edit the startup options manually, click edit -> Edit

This should bring up a .txt file with your boot.ini file

kirbyrj's boot.ini said:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /bootlogo /usepmtimer

See the /usepmtimer at the end of that list. Add that and it will do what the driver does for you. If it is already there and you still have problems, you might want to take it out and try again.

kinson said:
dont know how to do that :)... the noobie under my name is there for a reason...

and I removed the drivers... but it still didnt work <edit: ok for some reason it worked that time.. sigh... SOOO STUPID... > :)

LOL...I guess you got it ;).

lol yeah... thanks for the help :)... I'm still learning alot about dual cores, and alot more about the drivers for processors...

I have been working on computers since I was like 5 years old <15 years> but it seems that I'm still so very much a noob :)... I've always been more facinated with hardware then software tho, I guess that could be a problem lol...

Guys, I have a Opteron 170 543. Overclocked to 2.6 but everytime I run 3dmark05 my score is close to 3000 points lower than my old 2.2Ghz 3500+ Winchester. I've run the same test with stock settings and still the same low score. Anything wrong with dual core and 3dmark05? I have the AMD driver installed and Hotfix #2. Here are specs:

AMD Opteron 170
ASUS A8N SLI Platinum
2GB (2x1) OCZ platinum DDR400
eVGA 7800GTX 490/1.3

What video driver are you running? The 81.95's seem to fix a lot of my problems with 3dmark

was using the .85 drivers but will try to update. I'll let you know. Thanks for the suggestion.

ok I did all this stuff, cnq is running, have the cpu driver updated, have new video drivers... while playing lineage 2 tho I get a negative delta time...

any suggestions ?

question... am I suppose to leave the /usepmtimer or remove it with the m$ hotfix ??

oh and when I updated the amd driver it says 1.2.2.0 not 1.2.2.2 did anyone else get this ??
and I'm kinda getting tired of posting on here... if there is someone that can help me and guide me through these things and discuss the problems I'm still facing I'd appreciate it... just let me know :)

kinson said:
ok I did all this stuff, cnq is running, have the cpu driver updated, have new video drivers... while playing lineage 2 tho I get a negative delta time...

any suggestions ?

question... am I suppose to leave the /usepmtimer or remove it with the m$ hotfix ??

oh and when I updated the amd driver it says 1.2.2.0 not 1.2.2.2 did anyone else get this ??
and I'm kinda getting tired of posting on here... if there is someone that can help me and guide me through these things and discuss the problems I'm still facing I'd appreciate it... just let me know :)

Try setting the affinity manually using the Win2000 launcher or WinXPLauncher. Some games that's the only way to fix it. Don't worry about posting...this is as good a place as any to fix your problems ;).

kinson said:

I'm going to look at this a little more. I'll get back to you on that one. Probably put it in the main section on page 1

I'd love to set affinity, but after a while of running my computer and then starting the game I get a negative delta time error and the game closes before it ever really begins... I get the same kind of problem with games like kotor2 cept its like the super speed thing instead of a negative delta time.... havent noticed anything with HL2 or CS:S cept maybe a very small bit of lag from my computer after a while of running... removed BF:2 because they dont put out a patch without it screwing my system so I havent touched it in a while...

I've done everything thing in #1 and #2... both the driver and the hotfix, I tried it with and without the /usepmtimer... turned cnq on and off... it seems with the dual core drivers any of them I get the same problem... Really dont know what I'm doing wrong here... done everything this guide has stated and I've read tons of other posts about it... just nothing is really working for me :)

8185... but I dont think its the drivers, it was doing it with older drivers as well..

I downloaded the winxplauncher and set the affinity before I launched the game... had the hotfix turned off and cnq turned off tho... had the /usepmtimer set again..

would those 2 make a difference in anything ?

Try the newest 81.95 drivers maybe use driver cleaner pro to make sure all traces of older drivers are gone.

I'm thinking if the affinity launcher program didn't work, maybe there's another problem with your computer :(. I've never heard of 1 of these fixes not working, but maybe your'e the first ;).

I dunno man... maybe I'm doing something wrong... I mean... just the drivers, or drivers and hotfix... is there some other drivers I should try...

I'll reset my computer, set the cnq and hotfix with the /usepm... I know the game will run fine at first, its a little while in maybe an hour or so that gives me the problem...

my computer has been running since I got the hotfix and drivers to install this morning... I did the xplauncher set the affinity to core 2 and it ran fine... :)

maybe this is something that you can enjoy doing research on, cause honestly I'm getting sick of it and <> that close to selling it :)

<edit>
I'm thinking if the affinity launcher program didn't work, maybe there's another problem with your computer .

no the xplauncher did work... as above says... I read that last post wrong... but I mean from what I understand, everyone just did step 1+2 and their junk ran fine... or am I wrong about that as well :)

kinson said:
I dunno man... maybe I'm doing something wrong... I mean... just the drivers, or drivers and hotfix... is there some other drivers I should try...

I'll reset my computer, set the cnq and hotfix with the /usepm... I know the game will run fine at first, its a little while in maybe an hour or so that gives me the problem...

my computer has been running since I got the hotfix and drivers to install this morning... I did the xplauncher set the affinity to core 2 and it ran fine... :)

maybe this is something that you can enjoy doing research on, cause honestly I'm getting sick of it and <> that close to selling it :)

Can you try a fresh format and reinstall? Maybe it's not convenient though :(.

at the present I'd really rather not... thats alot of work :p... lol and a real real time consumer...

does it make sense to have the hotfix on and the /usepmtimer set and still have a problem to where you have to set the affinity ??

kinson said:
at the present I'd really rather not... thats alot of work :p... lol and a real real time consumer...

does it make sense to have the hotfix on and the /usepmtimer set and still have a problem to where you have to set the affinity ??

Yes...some games just won't work without the affinity program. Did you try the ImageCFG program? You set it once and then it should take care of it so you don't have to run the launcher. A little more work (and make sure you back up the .exe file), but you wouldn't need an extra program.

I looked at it but I'm kinda loopy on the brain processing side right now...

but if thats the case then any game that is having the super speed problem, couldnt you just set it that way to run on one core all the time ??

kinson said:
I looked at it but I'm kinda loopy on the brain processing side right now...

but if thats the case then any game that is having the super speed problem, couldnt you just set it that way to run on one core all the time ??

Yeah, that ImageCFG program just sets the affinity at the .exe level by "masking" it. You shouldn't even see it running after you get it set up.

has anyone used it... have you used it to test it or what ??... I'll read up on it some more tho it sounds usefull... by useing it I can get rid of the winxplauncher or would you suggest keeping it ?

YARDofSTUF said:
Also, to set the affinity permanently you can use "imagecfg.exe"

Google it and you'll find it for download, this link should still have it too:

http://www.robpol86.com/Pages/imagecfg.php

Pretty handy tool for me. I went and set the affinity of my games to the 2nd and anything else I use while gaming to the 1st core. My thinking behind this is that XP will probably use the 1st core more for its services, so put all the other stuff there and use the 2nd for gaming as it should be the only thing really using that core. And if you need to set the affinity for a fix, this way its a 1 time deal, and you dont need to load another program.

Imagecfg has a problem with some directories with spaces in them, so its easiest to stick it in the folder with the *.exe file you want to change. Then use the command you need:

imagecfg -a 0x1 game.exe for core 1
imagecfg -a 0x2 game.exe for core 2

If imagecfg.exe is not in the same folder as the *.exe you want to change then you need to add the full file path to the *.exe

Here's a quote from back on page 4 or 5 ;). He's the one who showed it to me.

BF42, BF2, NFS U2, Dungeon Siege 2, Fable, Freelancer, Rise of Nations, and Unreal Tournament all worked for him.

ahhhh yes I read that... ok so go over this with me so I dont f*#@ something up... not extremely sure on how to set it up...

lets just say my exe is on desktop or C:\Program Files\Lineage II\system\l2.exe .. :) again thanks for the help...

kinson said:
ahhhh yes I read that... ok so go over this with me so I dont f*#@ something up... not extremely sure on how to set it up...

lets just say my exe is on desktop or C:\Program Files\Lineage II\system\l2.exe .. :) again thanks for the help...

1. Put imagecfg.exe in the game directory or wherever the exe file is (C:\Program Files\Lineage II\system\ )
2. Run this command in the dos prompt in that directory

imagecfg -a 0x1 l2.exe

Then your .exe will be "patched" to run only on core 1. Backup your original .exe file though because you are changing it.

Copy imagecfg.exe to %systemroot%\system32 (or C:\Windows\system32), and %systemroot%\system32\dllcache (or C:\Windows\system32\dllcache).
Doing so will make imagecfg a system command.

what about that ??

sigh... how do I get to that directory in cmd ?

well, the guy said that the program sometimes has problems with directories that have spaces in them, so the way I wrote in the other post sets it up so you shouldn't have any problems ;).

Making it a system command might be useful if you plan on using it alot. I think the other fixes will work with most other games so you wouldn't have to use this method a lot.

Back