Dual core for gaming?

I am upgrading my s754 gaming rig to s939. Should I use the Opty 165 dual core for gaming or the Opty 144 single core from my other rig? The 2nd computer is used for internet, iTunes, and other things not gaming-related.

Thanks

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Whatever computer you use the most, put a 165 in it. The secondary one, put the 144. Dual core CPU's are good for more than just games.

If it's Lanparty computer that you take around just for gaming, then throw the 144 in it and OC it.

Peter949

Gawd
I would use a opteron 165 in the main rig and most being quite ocable should be great for games also and most future games will be multi threaded.

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Sounds like a plan...what kind of board are you using? The x9 multiplier on that 165 runs out quick without the right motherboard.

Sta!nless

Gawd
the_recluse said:
DFI LanParty nF4 Ultra-D

Nice. That board will get the job done. Just makes sure you have a recommended powersupply and some good ram. I was just shopping for one of those... My MSI board takes my opty up to 311 so far, but it's not 32meg pi stable and I HAVE to clock it with clockgen. :mad:

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Sta!nless said:
Nice. That board will get the job done. Just makes sure you have a recommended powersupply and some good ram. I was just shopping for one of those... My MSI board takes my opty up to 311 so far, but it's not 32meg pi stable and I HAVE to clock it with clockgen. :mad:

My old MSI board wouldn't do over 230 unless I was in ClockGen with my old 3200+ Winchester chip :mad: . I'd say 311 is great for MSI :).

Flawless "lucky" setup of the Ultra-D, I had read over some of the horror stories about this board over at DFi-Street. Took my time setting every thing up and talking nicely to this "mother"Board. Gonna play around with the Opty 144 and this board for awhile- got a Freezer 64 w/ some Zalman grease. I have never seen a BIOS so complete as with this board- gonna have to do some reading on some of this stuff. The 8800 GTS is a pretty tight fit seated over the chipset fan and close to the SATA connectors. It's gonna be a fun night, f'in eh!!!

Peter949

Gawd
I hate it when people bag on dfi boards because they can't get it to work.
1. Every motherboard manufacturer will have bad boards that passed qc.
2. Most people who can't get a dfi board to work shouldn't use them in my opinion.

I have nothing but the best oc results with dfi boards and fixed all my issues with the motherboard when I did run into problems.