dual channel DDR in all 3 slots or just two?

kr0sys

n00b
A friend of mine has a nforce2 mobo with two sticks of 256mb DDR running in the dual channel mode or 128bit. shes looking to add another 512 dimm, but is not sure if the two 256mb dimms and the 512mb dimm would all run in 128bit mode. How would this config run?

I told her to just sell the two 256mb dimms and get two 512s to be safe.

thx

Dual = 2

So no, 3 sticks would not work in dual channel mode. She'd do best to sell the two she has if she wants to upgrade.

UnseenClass said:
Dual = 2

So no, 3 sticks would not work in dual channel mode. She'd do best to sell the two she has if she wants to upgrade.

Not true.

2x256 + 1x512 ..WILL result in Dual Channel or 128bit mode on a nForce2.

UnseenClass said:
Dual = 2

incorrect... :rolleyes:

Does this mean that on my A7N8X Deluxe
I can use my two existing 512 sticks
throw in a 1gig stick, and have 2gig in dual channel mode?

I thought I would have to scrap the 2x512 and get 2x1024

please let me know which way is right....

thanks
-Jeff

I've got ...

2x256MB PC3200 slot1&2
1x512MB PC3500 slot3

and running dual channel on an MSI K7N2-Delta

UnseenClass said:
Dual = 2

im in that boat, unless i see proof i dont think that you can run 3 sticks in dual channel.

im going to clear this up now...........

you can run dual channel in all three slots as long as each controller has identical amounts of ram of the identical chips.................

you can run 2x256+1x512 but not 3x512 or somthing like that....

im the wizzard

ubern00b15 said:
im going to clear this up now...........

you can run dual channel in all three slots as long as each controller has identical amounts of ram of the identical chips.................

you can run 2x256+1x512 but not 3x512 or somthing like that....

im the wizzard

you just contradicted yourself, you said you can aslong as all the ram is the same size....

and that you can with 2x256 + 1x512, but not 3x512's

:confused:

or you just cant read :mad:

it says they all have to be the same.......on each channel

like i said each controller need the same amount, meaning that since there are 3 slots on an athlon, two slots are controller 1 and the 3rd slot is controller two.....

ubern00b15 said:

like i said each controller need the same amount, meaning that since there are 3 slots on an athlon, two slots are controller 1 and the 3rd slot is controller two.....

or you can just not be an asshole and write it better you fucking newb.

why would 3x512's work any different than 2x256+1x512.

like i said..........before you flamed me..........

each channel has to have the same ammount on it,

meaning you cant have 1 gig on one channel and 512 on the other...it would run in single channel not dual

ubern00b15 said:

who flammed who first? oh yea thats right, you did.

heres what i think, if you populate all 3 slots with ram, lets say 3x512's. the two 512's will run in dual channel but the 3rd will not, and because the 3rd is not running dual channel it will slow down the 2x512's in dual channel to match the speed of the 512 thats in single channel. like running 3sticks oc pc133 and one stick of pc100, you limited by your slowest piece.

well......im sorry but your wrong. \

you cannot run ram like that. i tried it and it doesnt work. at all.

*smacks forehead*

Okay, in the AMD world, slot does not equal channel. You have to have the same capacity of RAM, speed, etc in each CHANNEL. Slots 1 and 2 make up CHANNEL 1 and Slot 3 is CHANNEL 3. Get it?

So, you can run in dual channel with 3 sticks. Not sure why anyone needs to argue about it because it offers VERY little performance gain on an AMD system. So who really gives a shit?

But seriously, I've never been one to downplay flaming, but before you flame....at least make sure your correct.

Furthermore, you can't run in single and dual channel at the same time. It's either one or the other. Please verify info before posting, because your not helping to answer any questions by posting false info.

acascianelli said:
heres what i think, if you populate all 3 slots with ram, lets say 3x512's. the two 512's will run in dual channel but the 3rd will not, and because the 3rd is not running dual channel it will slow down the 2x512's in dual channel to match the speed of the 512 thats in single channel.

anybody has 3x512s or 3x256s that can verify this? I think this will work in single channel ... can't try this since I don't have a third stick of 256 ...

djnes said:
*smacks forehead*

Okay, in the AMD world, slot does not equal channel. You have to have the same capacity of RAM, speed, etc in each CHANNEL. Slots 1 and 2 make up CHANNEL 1 and Slot 3 is CHANNEL 3. Get it?

So, you can run in dual channel with 3 sticks. Not sure why anyone needs to argue about it because it offers VERY little performance gain on an AMD system. So who really gives a shit?

But seriously, I've never been one to downplay flaming, but before you flame....at least make sure your correct.

smacks forhead 87 times............

thats what i said, slot one and two equal channel one, you could run 2x 256 and 1x512 but not 3x 512 or 3x256

*Quotes Self* like i said
or you just cant read

i never said i was right or wrong, i just said what i thought. i do know that if i put another stick of ram in my intel system my memory bandwidth will drop from 6.3gb/s to around 3.5gb/s

ubern00b15 said:
why the hell are you posting about your intel system?

they are completely differant

your a tool dude, what the hells your problem. its not like im telling him to ditch his amd system for an intel one.

chill out chief.

My post was to present facts. Both of you are flaming back and forth with less than 100% correct info for the most part, so I am trying to end it but clearing up the debate.

Ubernoob15....you need to spend more of your energy learning than flaming. Research, then post....Research then post. Got it?

w/e man, you cant do it (3x512) on an athlon board it just doesnt work in dual channel

im positive that you can't......................

this is a really dumb argument

good lord, it's almost 200 degrees in here

acascianelli, I don't know how to say this without being somewhat bad, but it was very clear what ubern00b15 said in his original post.

Also, in an AMD system you cannot run 2x512 in dual channel and have a third stick of 512 not in dual channel.

Plz stop the flaming now. Both of you.

kthx

ubern00b15 said:
w/e man, you cant do it (3x512) on an athlon board it just doesnt work in dual channel

That's not one of the comments I was referring to. That was one of the few you actually had correct. Both of you were arguing and flaming back and forth, with some incorrect info. Either way, you are correct that 3x512 will not run in dual channel mode. I'll give you that.

About the Intel comment, I never brought that up. All I said was AMD boards do not count each slot as a channel, like Intel boards. I also pointed out dual channel on an AthlonXP system is pretty much worthless.

djnes said:
About the Intel comment, I never brought that up. All I said was AMD boards do not count each slot as a channel, like Intel boards.

Ok, so the Asus P4P800 I am waiting for from Newegg, will each slot constitute a channel, or will the first two slots be channel #1 and the second two slots be channel #2 ?

The channel info is good -> 2*256 one channel, 1*512 in another works in DC. However NF2 also isnt as solid with all three sticks in. It is like some of the via's etc where your board's fsb potential can indeed suffer. So end of the day you are still better off with 2*512 essentially as well as the fact that they are easier to match up since they's both be new. I mean a gig is harder on a board period, might as well try and get it optimal if possible. You could buy a 512 stick, test your luck, then sell to afford another if you are unsatisfied.

Don't flame me. It's not bragging to say that I know everything about these boards, they've been out well over a year now. More interesting that after all this time there is enough misconceptions to start flaming. This is all old news.

Oh yeah, btw, dual channel is worth a couple hundred points in 3dmark for instance. It may be 'fake' in the sense the xp can't utilize it all but it certainly does something. If you've tested it, you'd know. It doesnt do a ton ala intel, but neither does every little ram timing we change. In fact, this is up there with a lot of them on my system, only less so than Ras to Cas and Command Rate.

AMD T-type said:
good lord, it's almost 200 degrees in here

acascianelli, I don't know how to say this without being somewhat bad, but it was very clear what ubern00b15 said in his original post.

Also, in an AMD system you cannot run 2x512 in dual channel and have a third stick of 512 not in dual channel.

Plz stop the flaming now. Both of you.

kthx

whew! thoought that would never show up! thanks man!

Back