dual booting

boredguyatcomp

Limp Gawd
ok so heres my question. recently i was trying to help my brother find out what was wrong with his computer and we thought it was windows, so on a much less used 40 gig hard drive of mine i installed windows and then turned off the computer and unplugged it to put in his computer. now the annoying thing is, is that it says when im booting up that i have two version of windows xp (wrong i have one installed) and ive put the hard drive back in and reformatted several times and it still wont chage the message that im still dual booting windows xp. its not a severe problem just its annoying so if you have any suggestions thanks.

Check the boot.ini file on the root drive (c:\) you should see something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

make sure that under [operating systems] only one instance of winxp appears.
hope this helps! :)

There should be a file on the C: drive named Boot.ini. It's hidden so make sure you goto folder view options.

Tools->folder options->view-> uncheck "hide protected operating system files"

here what the boot.ini file says. im assuming that is saying i have two installed how do i change that and how do i change it correctly?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=signature(d463ee87)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
signature(d463ee87)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

edit: i changed a few lines and now it works. heres what i have now

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
signature(d463ee87)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

thanks for the help Helipotte! hope this might help other people with the same problem.

Back