Dual booting XP and Vista....should I have any problems?

HardLiner

Gawd
Hey my brother just got a new PC Q6600,DX10 video card3850 and 6Gb's of Ram (two sticks of 2Gb's of ram and two sticks with 1 GB's of ram) and I'm curious would there be a problem dual booting XP 32bit and Vista 64 bit?

Possibly partitioning a 500Gb hard drive and putting both OS's on that or use one hard drive for XP and a different hard drive for Vista.?

Would I have any driver issues and would my XP programs like alcohol still work in XP?

It's pretty easy to do with just a single drive. Just parition you hard drive how you want it (as long as there's at least two parititions) and install XP on the second partition. After XP's installed, install Vista onto the first partition. You must install XP before Vista because XP does not recognize the new bootloader Vista uses and you'll just have more work to do to get it up and running.

Be aware that you will have to install each application twice if you want to use them in both XP and Vista.

You must install XP before Vista because XP does not recognize the new bootloader Vista uses and you'll just have more work to do to get it up and running.

Is installing XP first necessary if you are using 2 separate HDDs?

Is installing XP first necessary if you are using 2 separate HDDs?

It depends on how much work you want to put into dual booting. If you plan on physically switching drives back and forth, then no... as long as only one drive is connected at a time during the installation. However, if you want a boot menu to pop up and let you choose which OS you want without having to go into the system or BIOS, then you'll have to install XP first.

Back