Dual booting between Windows 2000 and XP x64

Centauri

2[H]4U
Hi,

I currently have XP x64 installed on my S-ATA hard drive and an installation of Windows 2000 on a 20GB IDE hard drive. I had been running the system from the 2000 disk for the first few days that I had it and would like to reboot into 2000 to recover some data. Another reason for wanting to boot into 2000 is that MacDrive, an application for recognizing Mac formated hard drives attached to PCs, doesn't seem to work under x64 and my other S-ATA hard drive is a Mac drive that has a load of data that I need to access, which I was able to access under 2000.

But now that I have installed XP, I am not even given the option to boot into 2000.

So, question is simple I guess; How do I dual boot Windows 2000 and XP?

Thanks guys.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022

you can see in there how they list more than one operating system, and how the default is chosen. I don't know how your pc is setup, and I'm lazy when I do it myself, so I just like list 5 or 6 different ways, changing the rdisk and disk multi etc numbers from 0 to 1 etc etc and then reboot til I find the right one, then I just remember which one it was I tried. Then I go delete the others. ;) It can get confusing which way its actually setup, because for me it seems to change depending on my boot order in the bios o_O

If you installed Windows XP after Windows 2000 was installed, it should have recognized your previous Windows 2000 install, and modified the boot sector and boot menu's appropriately..

When dual booting, the best approach is to install the oldest operating system first...

You positive you didn't nuke your 2k install by putting the XP install on top of it?

I'm sure. Because if I boot the machine up with only the 2000 disk hooked up, it boots 2000 fine.

Back