Dual boot with XP installed after Vista

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Archer75, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Archer75

Archer75 [H]ardness Supreme

I have Vista installed now. If I install XP on another hard drive will it detect Vista and install a boot loader so I can choose which OS to use?

2. digital_exhaust

digital_exhaust [H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2008

I had thought that it was not possible, until I saw this post, and found it very helpful. Should help you do what you want.

3. Archer75

No go. I don't even have some of the files it says to run and the ones I do have simply won't run.

Is there something like a repair utility on the Vista DVD such as what XP has on it's CD?

4. digital_exhaust

digital_exhaust [H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2008

Yes, and some have said that that method might work, although I have not tried it myself and I have not found any information as to rather it actually works or not. But I would think that if you install XP and then run a repair install of Vista, it might get the Vista bootloader back, but this is something I would hesitate to recommend to anyone as I have not yet heard of anyone successfully doing this, sooo...

5. killowatt

killowatt n00bie

i followed the instructions from the MS article back in november. works great. vista was installed first, used comp management to create a new partition for XP, ran that install and then ran the BCD commands to get the bootloader working.

6. Archer75

The BCD won't run. I have to do it in XP as I can't get into the Vista partition and the BCD won't run. Perhaps it's because my Vista install is 64bit and my XP is 32bit.

7. killowatt

killowatt n00bie

its been a couple months since i had to mess around with it so my memory is foggy. can you boot from the vista CD and get to a command prompt?

8. WickedWeasel

WickedWeasel Limp Gawd

How about having 2 OS, one on each hard drive. Use the BIOS to switch the boot order, or swap the SATA cables if the BIOS does not support it?

9. Archer75

The Vista install was already set as the first drive in the boot order. So it's a no go there.

10. Capt_Scarlet

Capt_Scarlet n00bie

11. Archer75