Dual boot Vista/XP system but the boot loader is broken...help please

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by shaolin95, Oct 1, 2008.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 2[H]4U

HI!
    I installed Vista 3 times (two different HDDs before) and this time I want it to stay. I am running XP Sp2 and Vista 64 SP1. The problem is, in order to boot to either XP or Vista I have to access my boot device menu and select which HDD I want to boot from. If I dont do it, I will get the OS selection screen but only shows two Vista option and both are broken.
    Its kind of annoying specially since my Logitech G15 wont control the boot menu so I always need a PS2 keyboard connected as well.
    Any ideas?

2. shaolin95

shaolin95 2[H]4U

Nobody has seen this before?

3. speedy523

speedy523 [H]ard|Gawd

well you can try a couple of things. if you cant get into any OS at all, use the vsta install dvd and do fixboot, but if you can get into an OS, go and install Vista Boot Pro and run that. It'll redo the bootloader so that you can use the boot selection. Hope this Helps!

4. CrimsonKnight13

CrimsonKnight13 Lord Stabington of [H]ard|Fortress

Get EasyBCD or VistaBootPro. Make sure you boot the Vista drive & install one of those apps. You can add XP as an option to the boot menu.

Both apps allow you to install or uninstall the Vista boot loader on any drive of your choosing as well.