dual boot questions

hinkbot

n00b
I am working on my parents computer right now. They currenty are running win2000 but it is run at 100% CPU load. It is next to impossible to do anti-virus, spy ware, etc. because of how long everything takes.

I would like to format the hard drive and start fresh, but there are critical files on the computer that need to be transfered.

i have a spare HD laying around. I would like to disconnect the HD and install xp on the new one. once it is up and running proper, i wish to slave the old hard drive to transfer the files.

How do i go about doing this? There will still be an active install of 2000 on the 2nd hard drive.

Thanks in advance

Alright, so you unplug the current HD, plug in the other one and install Windows XP on it. Now all you have to do is plug in the old HD as slave, or cable-select, while the one you just installed WindowsXP on is plugged in as master. Then when you power-on, it should just see the Master Boot Record for the newest XP installation, and it will boot normally into the HD you just installed Windows XP on, but when you get to Windows, you will see another drive letter under "My Computer". Just drag and drop from one to another, and you're set.

Hope that helps some. It's not as hard as you think it might be. It's actually very simple. Having Win 2k installed on the old HD won't change a thing. The master HD has a new MBR after installing XP on it, and since the Win 2k drive wasn't connected when you installed WinXP on the new drive, the Win 2k installation won't even be seen.

i just restarted one last time with the 2000 HD. Windows splash comes up, after a minute i get a BSOD...bad pool call at 0x000000c2.

will this cause any issues with booting with the xp drive, or is it strictly an issue with 2000.

Originally posted by hinkbot
i just restarted one last time with the 2000 HD. Windows splash comes up, after a minute i get a BSOD...bad pool call at 0x000000c2.

will this cause any issues with booting with the xp drive, or is it strictly an issue with 2000.
No, everything about your new operating system (drivers, settings, etc) will be on the new drive. Once you plug in your old drive it should be treated as just another physical drive.

Unless your original problem is caused by a physically failing drive then it may be another issue.

Also remember to install and update your OS+AV before replugging the old drive just in case.

Yea i was just gonna say, remember to check out the files u xfer over to the XP drive so u don't jack up 2 hdds. :D

Back