Dual Boot Linux in a system with Raid?

tunaman

2[H]4U
I understand that its not possible to use the raid on my motherboard with linux but I am wondering I am still able to dual boot if linux is installed on another hard drive in my system.

The setup I have is 2 Raptor 36gb drives setup under raid 0. I also have 2 SATA 500gb hard drives. The raptors are divided into 2 partitions with windows installed on one. I was wondering if it is possible to install linux onto one of the 500gb hard drives and still have it run? Anybody know?

Running an Abit AN8 and running my drives in a Raid 0 configuration off of the on-board SATA raid controller. I had read that it was not possible to run it off of these. Obviously read wrong.

Thanks!

I understand that its not possible to use the raid on my motherboard with linux but I am wondering I am still able to dual boot if linux is installed on another hard drive in my system.

The setup I have is 2 Raptor 36gb drives setup under raid 0. I also have 2 SATA 500gb hard drives. The raptors are divided into 2 partitions with windows installed on one. I was wondering if it is possible to install linux onto one of the 500gb hard drives and still have it run? Anybody know?

you can install linux on a motherboard with a fakeRAID controller,its just it can be a bit of a hassle (mainly with GRUB, it is doable I use to run XP and gentoo on a promise fakeRAID untill XP hosed the array and took out gentoo with it).

softwareRAID would be a better solution, fakeRAID has abt the same CPU overhead then softwareRAID and it is easier to setup

Yea, installing it is definitely more difficult. When I tried the install, GRUB totally failed to install. I had to manually install it to the partition that I installed Linux on, and then use BCDEdit to add an entry for it in Vista's bootloader. It actually works really cool now.

If I recall, I had to skip a few steps in the method in the link I posted because the code didn't work properly.

Good luck.

I have had a HUGE problem trying to get this to work in the past. I don't know how many things I tried. I have two raptor 74's in raid zero, with my vista 64 installed on there. I have several other harddrives, tried installing ubuntu on one of the others but no matter what i cant get grub or bcd to get linux to load up. It gets to the screen that asks me which kernel to run, and then gives me some generic grub error. F U fakeraid!

Back