dual band router (w or w/o ddrwt) or build my own and run ipfire?

• Thread starter Deleted member 82943
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 82943

Ok so here's where I'm at: I kind of want a project. I think it'd be cool to build a mini-itx based firewall. I even specced out some parts

intel g440 - don't need lots of power and a single core chip would be fine
GIGABYTE GA-Z77N-WIFI - this board has gigabit ethernet and wifi - not sure if it will do dual-band wifi though
and the other parts i can salvage from older builds

the thing is i would like to run dual-band wifi.

most devices here are 802.11n compatible and the others are iphones non 5's so they don't have 802.11n, thus the need for dual-band wifi

the thing then becomes should I build it or go the pre-build route

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/wndr4000.aspx

this one looks like it would work, would the stock firmware just fine or just use dd-wrt?

OR

build a box (I know it will be overkill..but) with wifi

the build-my-box method could be a hotter louder but more powerful version of the prebuilt netgear for example

P.S if only PFsense supported 802.11n cards...

What's wrong with getting a decent Atheros based router and running stock/OpenWRT?
//Danne

WZR-HP-AG300H, D-Link DIR-825, TP-Link TL-WDR4300, Netgear WNDR3800 comes to mind but you can probably find more if you read commit logs and/or the source and the wiki. Be a bit careful since some routers may have several revisions that may/may not be compatible and most are only supported in trunk. I havent messed much with 5Ghz so you might want to look into that a bit if you need to set region or something.
//Danne

Hey, I say build your own firewall! Mine is using an ancient 1ghz p4 with 768mb ram and 2 gigabit cards. Even with just a 15mbit cable connection, my upper limits went from ~14mbit to ~17mbit, and with zero fluxuation no matter how hard I slam the connection. I can max downstream to a ramdisk via torrent while maxing upstream via httpd to a friend. When I got 50mbit after, same results. And the latency difference was phenomenal, even on a loaded connection. I'm never going back to a network company designed firewall.

All I am usingis fedora with the stock firewall masqing the interfaces. Handles port forwarding and all just fine. Dnsmasq for dhcp

Back