Dual background method messed up in Vista

TimothyB

[H]ard|Gawd
With a dual monitor setup you have always been able to get a background for each by doing one big image with both backgrounds side by side. Then with tile it causes the image to be set full size on the first screen and the right side jumps to the 2nd monitor to give it it's background. Requires image editing to plan right.

Well, in Vista this method is screwed up, instead of tiling whatever image you pick like normal, it seems to make it fit on the first monitor by scaling it down and tile under it, even looks like it's distorted. Actually, when I open this image in the picture viewer it looks squished even thought the thumbnail preview is not.

Is this the next gen operating system where dual monitor is still not supported beyond extend my desktop. The tried and true method of dual background with no extra software ruined? Even the program called Ultramon that is used to add better dual screen functionality to XP had a dual background option that in the end just stitched the two images you pick togethor and sets it to tile, compared to manually doing it in image editing like I do.

This seemed to work in Vista RC1, though, it had a problem too, the tiled image caused some image corruption by kicking around a chunk of the image over a different part.

Hard to explain.

EDIT: Wait I don't think it was distorting things, but just scaling to fit. But you guys know the method right? Say you have two 20.1inch widescreens (same size to make it easier). So each screen is 1680*1050. If you take two backgrounds you want, 1680*1050 each, then stitch them togethor as one really wide image, 3360*1050, set it as the background, then choose tile, the first half would fit on the first monitor, then the other half tiles perfectly to the 2nd monitor, viola, dual background with one image.

I can get two pictures on separate screens working just fine using the stitching method. I'm using tiling as well.

I do agree though that vista should have better support for dual monitors, like screen rotation and different backgrounds should be built in.

I can get two pictures on separate screens working just fine using the stitching method. I'm using tiling as well.

I do agree though that vista should have better support for dual monitors, like screen rotation and different backgrounds should be built in.

Really, all my stitched images that I've ever used keep getting squeezed to fit the width of the first monitor for the first tile, so the stitched image does not tile over to the next screen correctly. Even center-image option is causing it to scale to fit the monitor instead of showing the image its original size.

I think the ATI Control Center may have some dual screen options for backgrounds.

Which version of Vista are you using? I'm on Home Premium

I'm using Ultimate 64bit. One screen is 1920x1080 and the other is 1680x1050.

Yep, stitching works fine for me. Just tile and you're good.

Yep, stitching works fine for me. Just tile and you're good.

That's the thing, I do choose tile, but it desides to resize the stitched image to fit the first monitor, then tiles. So I see the entire stitched image on the first screen even though the image is wider than that screen.

I'll have to do some testing when I get home, maybe different image formats and such.

Back