dual 6600 GT?

tycoot

Weaksauce
i've been out of the nvidia loop since the radeon 9700pro came to life. was wondering about 6600 GT's the dual sli alienware is looking tempting. let me know what you think.

tycoot said:
i've been out of the nvidia loop since the radeon 9700pro came to life. was wondering about 6600 GT's the dual sli alienware is looking tempting. let me know what you think.
total waste of money... a single 6800gt owns its pants

cell_491 said:
total waste of money... a single 6800gt owns its pants
I am pretty sure that the dual 6600 GT's are faster. I just bought two of them, and they were cheaper than a single 6800GT PCI-E. I would rather have a single 6800 GT, but this SLI deal was really good. Even if they aren't that good I can just sell both cards and by a 7800.

Kickus_assius said:
I am pretty sure that the dual 6600 GT's are faster. I just bought two of them, and they were cheaper than a single 6800GT PCI-E. I would rather have a single 6800 GT, but this SLI deal was really good. Even if they aren't that good I can just sell both cards and by a 7800.
in like 3 games yes there faster but in the majority of games a single 6800gt is faster and its obviously faster in games that dont support sli

cell_491 said:
in like 3 games yes there faster but in the majority of games a single 6800gt is faster and its obviously faster in games that dont support sli
Almost all games are supported with the new drivers,there are also applications that force all most any 3D application to run in SLI. And it will only get better.

There's really no point in getting 2 6600gt's, they have a 128bit memory bus and only 128 megs of ram, and no none of that doubles when you put it in sli.
While a 6800 gt has a 256bit memory bus and 256megs of ram.

single 6800GT

faster, and you can option to get a second one later, which gives you MORE power then an ultra.

Also, its just been announced all current line of X8** ATI cards work with there Multi VPU, so thats a good thing to keep in mind

read some reviews before you choose. SLI does have certain advantage beyond "speed". At this point in time there are choices on the near horizon that are really going to shake things up. The ATI version of SLI is soon to arrive (crossfire) which oem builders will soon be offering i would bet, NVIDIA will have their new 7800 (or whatever they call it) which as a single card is supposed to be wicked fast, so all this "old" stuff will come down in price IMO. The dual 6600GT is a good place to start. I have such a setup and the graphic advantages at times do outweigh a single card. You can always upgrade to dual 6800 GT or Ultra at some point in the future. The 6600GT is a watered down solution,so there will be certain advantages that a single more powerful card can offer.

KoolDrew said:
A complete waste of money.;

This is a pretty sad piece of bad advice for someone with "GAWD" status to hand out.

A 6600GT SLI rig benches higher than a single 6800GT at high res, high AA/AF at HL2, Doom3, and Halo.

It benches higher at 20X15 0X16X.

It has a higher minimum fps in many cases, and provides a smoother gaming experience.

It has totally functional Pure Video.

In the cases where the 6800GT is faster, the difference is between running the 6600GTs at 2X AA vs 4X for the 6800GT.

I can provide links to all of the above, and also have a 6600GT SLI and 6800GT SLI rig, and can provide proof of what I say.

How about you?

Id go for the single 6800GT. Double the memory, plus it beats out 2 6600's in most games. And especially games that do not support SLI

And ALIENWARE :eek:

eww.

I would go for the 6600gt because of redundancy I've had some problems with video card reliablility in the past. That way if a video card should fail I can still play my normal games instead of reverting to an old crappy regular pci card. In some cases the 6800gt is more expensive than the 6600gt SLI and in some cases it underperforms the 6600gt SLI. Moreover, if a game does not already have an SLI profile you can make your own an still have SLI. Other considerations are the power draw, power connectors, and size of both cards. In any case I would definately recommend the 6600gt SLI solution.

Those saying the dual 6600 setup is faster speak the truth. I was looking into it recently (though I'd have to mod my board for sli), and for the price, one can score 2 pci-e refurbed cards for $270 (yes sli compatible). You are still talking $300 and up for even refurbed PCI-e 6800gts. You could also score 2x 6800nu (not sure if these can be modded, or what the odds of modding both to 16 pipes would be) for $430, and that's new retail box! Or you could score 1 refurbed BFG 6800OC for $240. I guarantee that the 6800 SLI will smoke the 6800gt, and for only $100 more.

From a practical point of view, you can sell 2X 6600GT fairly easy when you're ready for a R520 or G70 series card. At a current price point of $150, the 6600GT's will retain their value much better than 6800GT and x800xl's once the next generation is out (2 weeks for the 7800?). A $150 midrange card may fall to $120 range as the new mid-budget cards, but $300 high-end cards are going to drop much more precipitously when the next gen single cards runs faster and much cheaper than two of them together. These cards target different populations, and the midrange-budget populations take much smaller hits with new releases.

On the other hand, why not just wait for the upcoming price drops over the next month?

Rollo said:
This is a pretty sad piece of bad advice for someone with "GAWD" status to hand out.

A 6600GT SLI rig benches higher than a single 6800GT at high res, high AA/AF at HL2, Doom3, and Halo.

It benches higher at 20X15 0X16X.

It has a higher minimum fps in many cases, and provides a smoother gaming experience.

It has totally functional Pure Video.

In the cases where the 6800GT is faster, the difference is between running the 6600GTs at 2X AA vs 4X for the 6800GT.

I can provide links to all of the above, and also have a 6600GT SLI and 6800GT SLI rig, and can provide proof of what I say.

How about you?

It is a waste of money. Anyone who says otherwise obviously has no idea what they are talking about. First of all you have to pay $100 extra for a SLI mobo then $170 for each 6600GT = $440. That is a complete waste of money when you can buy a 6800 Ultra for $420. Also not to mention you would need a beefier PSU to run SLI.

The only reason to go SLI is if you have the money to blow and can spend it on two top of the line cards. Going SLI with two 6600GT's is just tupid.

Think about it before you say other people are giving out bad advice :rolleyes:

KoolDrew said:
It is a waste of money. Anyone who says otherwise obviously has no idea what they are talking about. First of all you have to pay $100 extra for a SLI mobo then $170 for each 6600GT = $440. That is a complete waste of money when you can buy a 6800 Ultra for $420. Also not to mention you would need a beefier PSU to run SLI.

The only reason to go SLI is if you have the money to blow and can spend it on two top of the line cards. Going SLI with two 6600GT's is just tupid.

Think about it before you say other people are giving out bad advice :rolleyes:

Really KoolDrew?

Since when are SLI motherboards $100 more?
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=240422
$145 shipped for an Asus A8N SLI motherboard at a reputable vendor?
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=240423
Same board, same vendor, non sli $119 shipped? I guess $26 =$100 in "KoolDrew Math". :rolleyes:

A beefier power supply? My A8N SLI Deluxe manual says >350W.....ooooh, a 375W psu! Heavens to Betsy! Has anyone ever heard of such power?!?!?! :rolleyes: Errr, Kooldrew, most of us have had 350w or better PSUs for years?

What about Purevideo WMV9 acceleration? Won't get that on a 6800U Kooldrew.

What about high res (20X15 0X16X) gaming?
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_nforce4_intel_edition/page18.asp
Won't get that with a single 6800GT will you KoolDrew? An Ultra might get you close, but costs more, not to mention SLI always has higher minimums.

What about HL2 16X12 4X16X?
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf6800u-sli_19.html
6600GT SLI wins over 6800GT KoolDrew.

What about Doom3 d3DM4 16X12 4X16X?
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf6800u-sli_16.html
6600GT SLI wins over 6800GT again KoolDrew.

What about Halo 16X12 4X8X?
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/msi_nx6800/page7.asp
6600GT SLI wins over 6800GT again KoolDrew.

You obviously know nothing about this topic, so maybe you should just read and learn rather than giving bad advice that might screw people up?

I, on the other hand, own and use all the hardware in question here, and apparently researched it a lot better than you as well.

Better luck next time KoolDrew. If you want to flame me you'd better bring more than opinions pulled oiut of the air.

hmm decisions, i'm thinking of going with a 6800ultra and having the option to upgrade at a later date, can pop in another 6800ultra

The only thing he was accurate about was the $170 price point for 6600GT's. Most of the 6600GT's on newegg are within $5 of $170.

nah 6800Ultra isn't wort it unless

1) youre rich

2) you want even the smallest bit of more power

6800Gts are in most part better than dual 6600Gts, and they can overclock very close to ultras with virtually no difference visible in performance between the two

wow Rollo, ease up you're tellin the kid off

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG said:
wow Rollo, ease up you're tellin the kid off

LOL- I suppose you're right. I get annoyed sometimes when people make these blanket "Card X Sux" statements, when you can really make a case for the advantages of almost any card.

I offer the olive branch to you KoolDrew. My flamethrower is put away, I'm going to go mix myself a Jim Beam and diet coke, watch my five year old play in the back yard.

He better not diss SLI though! ;)

Rollo said:
He better not diss SLI though! ;)

I'll have the dogs ready to sic him if he does

anyway... SLI isn't as expensive as people would have you believe (KoolDrew). I got my SLI Mobo for $117 @ newegg refurb.... sure it was just a board in a static bag... but it really does not matter because the video cards (well at least mine did) come with the SLI bridge and the retainer for the bridge... either way I think it makes more sense to buy and SLI ready Mobo and stick one card in it and still have the option to upgrade than to buy a regular pcie Mobo.

Back