Dual 6 pin connectors - fastest card i can get?

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
Hey all,

Reading about the new AMD card likely having dual 8 pin connectors and the 3080's..

The system I may be using only has 2 x 6pin connectors, (Dell T5610) So I wanted to know what cards I might be limited to for this system. It does have a 825W gold PSU according to Dell specs. This was my lab box but moved that over to a T620 so may use this as a place holder until AM5.

Can I safely do 6pin to 8pin adapters?

I would probably not chance the 6 pin to 8 pin connectors on a Dell power supply and a 30 series card. There are certain nvidia board designs that can be killed by a weak power supply. I would hate to find out the hard way that my unobtanium 3080 that I had to fellate a scalper for is one of those designs.

op, keep your fingers crossed its a proper(normal) psu and not dell proprietary, then replace it with a proper psu that will properly support a new proper gpu.

This model I can not replace the PSU due to it being a server style slide in type. The T5610 was a workstation grade that could handle up to 2x 10 cores CPU's (what I had in it) and multiple high end Quadro / Fire Pro's back in the day, for me I just have not been able to find the power output for the 6 pins., or are they sharing the same line and thus how many AMPs do they have....I likely would not be getting a 3080, not sure if they have released any info on the power draw of the 3070s...

In the end it was either get this rig built up a little and try to sell it for $500 or so, and then just work to do the Zen 3 build, or use this with a newer card and be done with it.

Duh me, just look up the model
Dell H825EF-01

1602644553294.png

Last edited:
You would probably be better off doing 2x 6 pin to a single 8 pin and then a dual molex to 8 pin. I would probably only feel comfortable doing this if you had two separate molex chains that you could plug into the 8 pin adapter. There is actually a pretty good chance you might even be able to get the dual molex to 8 pin in the box with your AMD card as they were still handing them out with Radeon VII cards. I would not feel good about doing 6 pin to 8 pin for a 1 to 1.

Chicony it's actually a very very high quality PSU OEM maker... it used to make some of the better OEM PSU in the market.. I would be relaxed to use 6 to 8 pin pci-e power adapter and use whatever PSU want to use..

Back