Dual 4090 -Dual Xeon-1.5TB ram

Venturi

Limp Gawd
I posted this in the other two forums, but Hard OCP has been my home for a long time, for me it was alsways HARD OCP and NVNEWS

The specs:
2x 4090 RTX Founders Edition
2x 8280L (56/112 cores), Asus c621 Sage Dual socket motherboard
1.5 TB ram. DDR4 ECC LRDIMMs
1600W digital power supply
(Data drive) 4x VROC Raid 0 Micron 9300 Max (12.8TB each / 51.2TB array) VROC Premium key
(OS Drive) Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus (8TB). 4x Samsung 860 Pro 4TB each (16TB array)
Asus PA32UCG-K monitor, TT SFF case, MS Data Center 2022 & Ubuntu

The build:
CPU run at about 41C under load, and RAM hovers at 55C under load.
NVME drives run 28C idle and 49C at the end of a full drive copy.

I'm using 1.5TB of ram, LRDIMMS
upgraded to 2x intel Xeon 8280L processors, the L have higher memory management
Dual 4090 RTX FE
The motherboard is revision 2.1x
Bios 9904 with Resizable Bar
C drive is a Sabrent TLC Rocket 4 plus 8TB
D drive is 4 Micron 9300 Max 12.8TB each (51.2 TB volume) using the U.2 connectors - Using VROC premium key
I have built in (hidden in the case) backup of 4x Samsung 860pro 4TB, as well as a network backup to a NAS in the house
Using VROC premium key, direct raid control and paths - please see pics of the WRITE speed of the internal array

Running MS Data Center 2022 as the OS and Ubuntu

To make it all work and have that in place it took a complete redesign just to have it look similar to what I had before but a lot of base design was changed.
The dual 4090 FE RTXs sit several centimeters above the board compared to where cards normally rest. This required changing all the mounting points and supports for the cards. The video cards needed a custom bracket to hold them stable as they are several centimeters above the board.
This allowed for 4x u.2 connections for the micron 9300 nvme drives in raid to fit to the board 4x u.2 plugs

The C drive now has a large pure copper heatsink on it as well, under load it only reaches 40C, idle is 26C.

The 4090 FE RTXs also operate about 29C in idle. Under load they really don't go past 51C (so far)
ever, most game play hover around 41-47C, application DL/ML may run the cards at max around 51C.

The decrease in temperature is from the additional air channel between the video cards (3.3Cm) and the motherboard. Other temp decreases were inn the CPU, Ram and chipset.

Machine runs very quietly.
Most fans ( including the GPUs) turn off at stable temps (auto settings from motherboard control other fans. CPUs at idle run about 23C (73F) in a 21C house (69-70). Under load they may reach as high as 44C, but not often.
To accommodate the 12.8 TB each 9300 nvme drives, I had to install two cooling fans internally to the design so as to have a quiet airflow over the 4 drives. (see pics) This keeps the 51.2 TB nvme drives drives at around 39-41C under load and 33C at idle. The fans are quiet and invisible to the outside but I will also include a picture of that design.

There is a picture of a Macrium backup report showing the READ speed of the C drive (Sabrent rocket 4 plus) to WRITE the backup to the NVME raid (Micron 9300 4x) at 50.6 Gb/s

PC runs very silently, nice and cool, on average components under load are basically at body temp (feels organic when described as such).
I hope this answers core questions here is a benchmark post to show some of the capability -still first on leaderboard

https://gravitymark.tellusim.com/leaderboard/

and

https://gravitymark.tellusim.com/leaderboard/?size=4k

IMG_4083.jpg

IMG_4084.jpg

IMG_4068.jpg

IMG_4106.jpg

grav.jpg

fan1.jpg

backup.jpg

This is dope, thanks for sharing!

I recently set out to do a ridiculous build over here. Mine Zen 4 stuff is cool and I've been dorking with Optane in RAID 0, but your dual CPUs and GPUs and tons of RAM and storage are really over the top. Kudos!

How do you get 10.4Gb/s read on the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus? Isn't it rated at 7.1? How does CrystalDiskMark look for the Sabrent and also the NVMe RAID array?

Can you please share the exact model of the case?

Awesome build, more pics please

Can you please share the exact model of the case?

Awesome build, more pics please
Thermaltake Core P1, but modified to accept a humongous motherboard and put the power supply on the back.

What's the point of dual-gpu? Video processing workloads or similar? Since pretty much no games do SLI anymore...

As you noted other GPU heavy work, AI related or Cyber Security related or serious video work. You don’t build a rig with Xeons and 1.5TB of ram to just play games.
Not to mention, the Xeons and memory would be "slow" for gaming... If you really wanted SLi 4090's for gaming, you would throw it in another other mainstream Intel or AMD platform and it wwould perform better for games.

What's the point of dual-gpu? Video processing workloads or similar? Since pretty much no games do SLI anymore...
I think he said in the past that it's some sort of medical image processing application.

Nice! I've been running local AI tools and would love this rig! I have to slum it with my 3090, 3950x, and 128gb of ram ...

Hi

actually did an upgrade in May , I'll post pictures soon
new specs:

2x AMD 7773x Epyc (2x 64/128 cores), Gigabyte MZ72-HB0 Dual socket motherboard version 4
1 TB RAM DDR4 ECC LRDIMMs 1600W digital power supply
(Data drive) Raid 0 Micron 9300 Max (15.4TB each / 77TB array - overprovisioned to 64TB)
(OS Drive) Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus (8TB). 2x Back up drives Micron 5300
Asus PA32UCG-K monitor, MS Data Center 2022 & Ubuntu, Air cooled, cool temps, SFF case, ultra quiet operation
yes...SFF

Do you make a living with this machine? I fail to realize the mission and or point of this build? Although it is a very extreme build and very well done I shall say! Indeed you built a killer render monster!

Hi

actually did an upgrade in May , I'll post pictures soon
new specs:

2x AMD 7773x Epyc (2x 64/128 cores), Gigabyte MZ72-HB0 Dual socket motherboard version 4
1 TB RAM DDR4 ECC LRDIMMs 1600W digital power supply
(Data drive) Raid 0 Micron 9300 Max (15.4TB each / 77TB array - overprovisioned to 64TB)
(OS Drive) Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus (8TB). 2x Back up drives Micron 5300
Asus PA32UCG-K monitor, MS Data Center 2022 & Ubuntu, Air cooled, cool temps, SFF case, ultra quiet operation
yes...SFF
Looking forward to seeing it!

Do you make a living with this machine? I fail to realize the mission and or point of this build? Although it is a very extreme build and very well done I shall say! Indeed you built a killer render monster!

Hi, well.. it is my personal home PC..... However when I'm not gaming, doing emails, or surfing the web.....:

...I do my research in medical imaging, work on nuclear isotopes, support multiple sites remotely, work on my post-doctorate endeavors, do CNN algorithms for K-space reconstruction, etc and hold down two additional full time on site jobs... so it helps me earn a living cuz this whole working for a living thing keeps getting in the way of my wife, kids and normal fun.... I'm just glad that there are 36 hours in a day or I probably couldn't pull it off.

V

Last edited:
Hi, well.. it is my personal home PC..... However when I'm not gaming, doing, emails or surfing the web:

I do my research in medical imaging, work on nuclear isotopes, support multiple sites remotely, work on my post-doctorate endeavors, do CNN algorithms for K-space reconstruction, etc and hold down two additional full time on site jobs... so it helps me earn a living cuz this whole working for a living thing keeps getting in the way of my wife, kids and normal fun.... I'm just glad that there are 36 hours in a day or I probably couldn't pull it off.

V
Wow man! Well I hope that machine really brings the bread in for your family. That's awesome enjoy the machine. It's nuts haha! I only see this level of computer in the data center running about 100 VMs for some big enterprise and that without the GPUs.

Looks like OP needs a $10K desk to show that off. A long desk so he can do lines of blow off a hookers ass while working.

Back