Dual 3.4GHz Xeons 1m Cache?

DBZ33

Gawd
I purchsed a pair of 3.4GHz Xeons to replace my system. I have a ASUS P5DW2, Intel 3.4GHz EE cpu, 2gb Ballistix's DDR2 PC2-6400, 7800GTX, OCZ Powerstream 520W. I was wondering if I should stick with my current system or build the dual Xeon?

Also if I did sell the pair of Xeons what price should I sell them for? Thanks for the help.

DBZ33 said:
I was wondering if I should stick with my current system or build the dual Xeon?

It depends on what you want to use the machine for, doesn't it?

Aren't those Xeon's worth about $700 each? I'm a little surprised someone would spend $1400 on processors without a plan for them.

I rip DVD's, play some BF2 and regular computer use. I know I don't need the Xeons but I like the idea of two 3.4GHz overclocked with my 7800GTX and 2gigs of ram!!! I tried the AMD X2 4400+ but had many problems. You just can’t beat Intel stability.

So do you guys think I should just sell the Xeons and use my current system until the new Intel CPU's come out? There is nothing that my 3.4EE system can’t run smooth yet.

DBZ33 said:
I rip DVD's, play some BF2 and regular computer use.

What the heck is "regular computer use"?

DBZ33 said:
So do you guys think I should just sell the Xeons and use my current system until the new Intel CPU's come out? There is nothing that my 3.4EE system can’t run smooth yet.

It's entirely up to you, isn't it? It depends on how much money you have, what your other priorities are, what your spending pattern is, and so on. The only person that can answer that question is you.

If you're happy with your system, why not save or invest the money and wait until your current machine shows its age?

mikeblas said:
What the heck is "regular computer use"?

It's entirely up to you, isn't it? It depends on how much money you have, what your other priorities are, what your spending pattern is, and so on. The only person that can answer that question is you.

If you're happy with your system, why not save or invest the money and wait until your current machine shows its age?

Regular computer use to me is internet, email, word, excel...

I think I am going to stick with my current system and sell the Xeons. Thanks.

DBZ33 said:
Regular computer use to me is internet, email, word, excel...

I think I am going to stick with my current system and sell the Xeons. Thanks.
i would return them.... i just sold a pair of 3.4's on ebay for 750, much less than retial value.

I didn't buy them from a store. I purchsed them from some guy. So you think I can get around $700+ for the pair?

DBZ33 said:
I didn't buy them from a store. I purchsed them from some guy. So you think I can get around $700+ for the pair?
i had a BIN of 750 on the pair i sold, they sold in like 2 days IIRC.

Sorry, I was wondering what BIN was. Thanks I will try to sell them I guess. I am going to wait for the next Intel dual cores then upgrade. Thanks again.

I just got my Xeons and they are ES!!! I was never told they were ES Xeons. Do you guys still think I should sell them? Also do you think they are worth more as ES Xeons?. I cant find any info about them online. It says QAMX ES Costa Rica on the back of them. Thanks.

dont sell them on ebay, and get a refund from the buyer. intel will be on your ass if you try to get rid of them on ebay.

i know an admin/mod closed a thread recently where a guy was trying to sell ES chips.

the seller didnt tell you what you were getting. demand youre money back.

ES = engineering sample

It means these chips were given out by Intel R&D to someone for "testing purposes" and were never meant to be resold. Intel is pretty strict about policing sales of these chips on ebay and the like, as they weren't meant to be commercially available.

Thanks thats where I will try to sell them. I just purchsed Dual Opetron 848's and a Supermicro SLI motherboard. I am going to pick it up tomorrow.

eek.gif

holy crap!

if it were me, id sell teh 848's for a profit and pick up some 252's or something :D

I just sold the 848's today and purchsed a pair of 252's. I was going to get the 254's but it was too much money. I paid $300.00 more to get the 252's. That is like 2 FX55's. I can't wait to get my system running.

DBZ33 said:
I just sold the 848's today and purchsed a pair of 252's. I was going to get the 254's but it was too much money. I paid $300.00 more to get the 252's. That is like 2 FX55's. I can't wait to get my system running.

Yeah I hear ya. I've been thinking about getting a pair of 252's or 250's.

If you want a real good price check with this guy. He has two pairs of 250's and also two pairs of 254's. I purchsed a pair of 252's for $860.00 shipped.

DBZ33 said:
If you want a real good price check with this guy. He has two pairs of 250's and also two pairs of 254's. I purchsed a pair of 252's for $860.00 shipped.
what guy? :p

Well I just grabbed a pair of Opteron 254's off ebay. They should arrive soon. I can't wait! :D

$1200 for the pair. Which I thought was a really good deal for Opteron 254's. It wasn't that same seller. Another one who sells Opteron's and has a good feedback rating. I'd have to check my emal and see who the seller actually is.

I found the guy you are talking about. He has another pair for the same price. $1149.00 + shipping. I guess I will just use the 252's for now. They are more than I need. They are at 2.6GHz stock and if I want I can always try to overclock them a little. Thanks and enjoy your new CPU's.

DBZ33 said:
I found the guy you are talking about. He has another pair for the same price. $1149.00 + shipping. I guess I will just use the 252's for now. They are more than I need. They are at 2.6GHz stock and if I want I can always try to overclock them a little. Thanks and enjoy your new CPU's.

No reason not to use them. 252's are still extremely powerfull processors. Having two chips equal to the FX-55 in your box is definately impressive.

Back