DTS Sound with Home Theather, and vid card HDMI ??

The video card can pass the audio signal to the receiver which will do all of the audio processing. Depending on what software you are using to play movies you may have to check or uncheck some boxes to get it to work.

The video card can pass the audio signal to the receiver which will do all of the audio processing. Depending on what software you are using to play movies you may have to check or uncheck some boxes to get it to work.

I see, and how about games?

Wat.

Most games use pathetic 128 kbps files.

If you're using the 290X for audio, which might be better than using the onboard audio, then for movies you could do pass-through over HDMI and send Dolby/DTS to that home theater setup. You would setup pass-through for Dolby/DTS in your movie playback software or codec package (I like Shark007's package but watch out for the junkware in the installer).

For games, you do not need any encoding, after connecting the receiver via HDMI, in Windows (or other OS) you'll configure the 290X HDMI output to 5.1 speakers and games will utilize it without the need for additional Dolby or DTS overhead.

If you're using the 290X for audio, which might be better than using the onboard audio, then for movies you could do pass-through over HDMI and send Dolby/DTS to that home theater setup. You would setup pass-through for Dolby/DTS in your movie playback software or codec package (I like Shark007's package but watch out for the junkware in the installer).

For games, you do not need any encoding, after connecting the receiver via HDMI, in Windows (or other OS) you'll configure the 290X HDMI output to 5.1 speakers and games will utilize it without the need for additional Dolby or DTS overhead.

Cool, I'll look into it :)

Thanx

Guess I should specify that you may need an HDMI monitor connected to that audio receiver to get it to activate and output audio, it's a copy protection thing (HDCP). You can also buy an HDMI splitter from eBay that can simulate a monitor being connected to the audio receiver to make it activate.

In other words, you can't typically just connect an HDMI cable and get audio, there usually has to be some kind of video device connected somewhere on the other end.

Guess I should specify that you may need an HDMI monitor connected to that audio receiver to get it to activate and output audio, it's a copy protection thing (HDCP). You can also buy an HDMI splitter from eBay that can simulate a monitor being connected to the audio receiver to make it activate.

In other words, you can't typically just connect an HDMI cable and get audio, there usually has to be some kind of video device connected somewhere on the other end.

I see, my monitor supports HDMI, so I can connect the vid card to the monitor, but then how do I connect the vid card to the speakers? Thru the monitor??

I see, my monitor supports HDMI, so I can connect the vid card to the monitor, but then how do I connect the vid card to the speakers? Thru the monitor??

As long as your equipment (receiver & tv) are made within the last five years you shouldn't have any handshake agreement problems. I run a HTPC using a Socket 775 setup and once I updated to the latest audio and video drivers (both Intel in my case) I had no problems passing the audio and video signal from my HTPC.

Your setup should be HTPC> Receiver> TV. Your receiver will be connected directly to the speakers.

As long as your equipment (receiver & tv) are made within the last five years you shouldn't have any handshake agreement problems. I run a HTPC using a Socket 775 setup and once I updated to the latest audio and video drivers (both Intel in my case) I had no problems passing the audio and video signal from my HTPC.

Your setup should be HTPC> Receiver> TV. Your receiver will be connected directly to the speakers.

I finally bought this speakers, which have several HDMI inputs
http://www.sony.co.in/product/ht-m5/specs

Wat.

Most games use pathetic 128 kbps files.

Still better to not have to reencode it to a different lossy format such as DTS or AC3, even if the game is using relatively low-quality audio files.

It's not a MAJOR difference, but it's still better, and easier to deal with.

Back