DSR thoughts @ 2560x1440 native?

phorkz

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

Little curious as to what sort of performance/IQ people are getting running any type of DSR at a native res of 2560x1440?(ie PG278Q) and what particular games people are using it for?

Are people just using it in older types of games at this native res or on current games?

Are people foregoing AA all together and using DSR instead for similar effect?

Does MFAA throw a spanner in the works?

I have searched google and all threads related here, am just curious as i will be jumping into 2x 980' shortly.(i understand DSR ins't working with SLI atm)

Last edited:
It is working. I'm using DSR and SLI for stalker lost alpha from 1080P to 1440P. It's okay I guess with AA and smoothing. I have a 144 Hz monitor.

Kind of missed the point there controller. He was asking if anyone with a 1440p monitor is using DSR.

And I wish I had the video card power to do so. I intend to SLI 970's, but not until the driver bugs are worked out. I will stick to a lesser card for now and try the new power later on.

Kind of missed the point there controller. He was asking if anyone with a 1440p monitor is using DSR.

And I wish I had the video card power to do so. I intend to SLI 970's, but not until the driver bugs are worked out. I will stick to a lesser card for now and try the new power later on.

I got the point. I was merely stating that DSR is indeed working for SLI. Also, DSR is intended for 1080P monitors. The principle is the same no matter what native res. you're coming from. I'm running @ 2560 x 1440 in DSR not even maxed out
and I still get areas of 40-50 fps in SLI. If the point is, will he stress that GTX 980 SLI starting @ 1440P going up? Yes he will. It does look nice for 1080P anyway.

I am using it on 1440p for older games.

Works great even on 480 GTX.

Works for fantastically with sli Gtx 970 oc'd on a 2560x1440 99hz display. I usually run 2x DSR so 3620x2036 down scaled, looks extremely good and performs extremely well. I plan on moving back to a 4k monitor soon but the quality of this along with higher refresh rate makes me hesitate a little. I owned a native 4k 60hz ips monitor (UP2414Q) and subjectively there are pluses and minuses to both, trading blows I some ways thanks to DSR.

Works for fantastically with sli Gtx 970 oc'd on a 2560x1440 99hz display. I usually run 2x DSR so 3620x2036 down scaled, looks extremely good and performs extremely well. I plan on moving back to a 4k monitor soon but the quality of this along with higher refresh rate makes me hesitate a little. I owned a native 4k 60hz ips monitor (UP2414Q) and subjectively there are pluses and minuses to both, trading blows I some ways thanks to DSR.

can you please let me know what games you are getting these results on? cheers

can you please let me know what games you are getting these results on? cheers

I've tried it with several I play frequently so far and it's worked really well in all of them. These include Dirt Showdown, Battlefield 4, Elder Scrolls Online, Ultra Street Fighter 4, and some of Assassin's Creed Unity (which doesn't come to capping the refresh rate of course on that last one). Also played with it in Archeage (an MMO) for a little while (couple of weeks) when I tried the game out.

In some games like BF4 I have thrown on 2x MSAA in addition since I have the performance to spare (I run all Ultra except post-processing on Medium since that gets rid of suppression blur from taking fire and some other undesirable effects).

I run DSR using 25% smoothness factor; less and I find it over-sharpens, more and I find it blurs things, obviously more severely the further you move it in either direction from there. I've yet to try a game it isn't highly beneficial to use in :), and it helps with all kinds of aliasing from shader to edge (geometry) to alpha (transparency).

Overall as I said between the lower motion blur and smoothness/input response from running at 99hz 2560x1440 (dsr'd to 3620x2036, 99hz is a limitation due to the driver in sli + dsr currently unfortunately related to the pixel clock when oc'ing my monitor and lands it half a megahertz under the 400mhz limit), vs. the sharper image and more distance detail of the 4K native setup at 60hz, they really trade blows on the overall experience. I'm 99.9% likely going to wait at this point on getting a 4K monitor until early next year since newer panels and lower pricing keep hitting and the trend on that should be better/cheaper over the next several months.

Before I tried DSR I was blown away by the switch to a 4K panel, but when I tried the 1440p screen to see how DSR looked I ended up hooked, edging towards the 1440p thanks to the motion clarity/smoothness from the lower response time & higher refresh. (In my specific case the Dell 23.8" UP2414Q also was smaller than I wanted; my 1440p panel is 27"). I had planned on upgrading in size immediately upon selling, but after having used 1440p w/ DSR for around a month while I had been trying to sell off my UP2414Q, while it's still an upgrade to go 4K for sure the size of the upgrade would be a lot smaller for gaming than I had originally anticipated (I'll go 4K for the better quality and desktop resolution still later on).

Hope this gives a little more clarity as to my remarks :).

I've noticed I only get the DSR option when I disable SLi, and when I tried DSR on Diablo3, it made all the text look super messed up.

I've noticed I only get the DSR option when I disable SLi, and when I tried DSR on Diablo3, it made all the text look super messed up.

Yeah, it's bugged for some people for SLI and not for others (including myself). Drivers 344.48 and newer have worked for me with DSR in SLI mode. As far as the text goes, setting sharpness to 25% should resolve that, or at least it has in everything I've tried so far :).

DSR works for me with SLI GTX 970 and the 344.48 driver. I think Diablo III "drags" too much at 4k downsampled to 1440p. But it is just what the doctor ordered in Shadows of Mordor, with no in-game AA options. G-sync helps tremendously with the FPS drop from downsampling from 4k.

Older games I opt to use SLI 16x AA. Combined with SLI 16x TRAA it looks a lot better than DSR 4k to me.

I was playing Skyrim a few days back at 5k and it played fine with a few graphic settings turned down slightly with G-Sync. I also play Dota 2 at 4k and it runs perfect and looks great, I have G-Sync ofcourse so I really don't pay attention to FPS unless I'm feeling some kind of input lag.

I'll probably use DSR more when it supports SLI and the next GTX Titans or x80 comes out. But so far I really like that DSR works above 60hz unlike the old way of downsampling.

Hopefully Valve does something about their ingame UI scaling. Thats the only annoyance is when somone messages you and you can hardly read the text.

Yeah, it's bugged for some people for SLI and not for others (including myself). Drivers 344.48 and newer have worked for me with DSR in SLI mode. As far as the text goes, setting sharpness to 25% should resolve that, or at least it has in everything I've tried so far :).

Yeah, 20-25% is good. The default of 33% is unfortunate.

Back