DSL speds hitting FiOS speeds - explinations??

A while ago I was able to speedtest my 12Mb connection and I received a reading of 178Mb/s! I thought this might have been some kind of error so I looked into maximum speeds of ADSL and how speeds decrease by distance, etc. Well, this shouldn't have been possible. So I let it go. The other day, I had another opportunity to duplicate the enviroment in which I hit those numbers and I have to say, it wasn't a glitch. I was able to hit over 8x my supposed top speed of 12Mb/s.

The only thing that is curious is that both of these tests were with bonded ADSL modems but at the time only one line was active for the second test. IDK if it has anything to do with the modem that is being used or the port being used at the CO (;)).

Has anyone else ever had speedtests that weren't "possible" like this?

try it with a different computer and or with a different browser on the same computer.
And try other speed test sites.

Did you try an actual file download? I'd be curious what it shows.

Where did you do these speedtests at?

Actual downloads > speedtests

It was speedtest.net. I've never had any mis-readings like this before, except for these two times when the environment was the same (so IMHO this leads me to believe that the unusual testing environment may be the key to replicating this vs the chance of the same error happening only 2x out of 1000+ tests over the same period)

I wasn't able to do downloads at the time. The window is pretty brief and I wasn't expecting it to happen again but I'll have something setup for it should it happen again.

Anyone know of a host that can transfer at 200Mb/s? I'd like to setup a bat file with wget or curl as it saves incremental data on transfer speeds (unless someone can suggest something better).

When I had Kaspersky installed it would do this for whatever reason. Speed test results would go sky high. The real test is try downloading something like a service pack or something.

Most likely just a bug.

This. Speedtest is dumb. Any caching or network issues cause it to spaz out. If your connection drops for a bit while the file is downloading, it assumes you just downloaded the file at the speed of light. Use speedof.me for quick tests, and downloads for more longterm tests.

Back