DSL Modem Question

iamwhoiamtoday

Limp Gawd
In the ongoing search to get away from Comcast, I've been looking up alternatives in my area. (Portland OR)

Right now I have 50mbps through comcast, which keeps dropping and never goes higher than 30mbps even during off-peak hours.

Centurylink offers 40mbps DSL at my house, for significantly cheaper.

Is there a standalone DSL modem that you would recommend? I already have an Edgerouter Lite / Unifi AP to handle everything else. I somewhat hate the "all in one" craptastic devices that Centurylink offers / wants me to buy. I'm not leasing a modem.

I've only ever used Cable internet before, never DSL. Is there a 3rd party modem without any bells or whistles that you would recommend?

Most DSL providers don't let you use your own since they use certificates to authenticate the modem to the DSLAM.

For the 40 Mbps, I believe you need the bonding modem. I'm using the all in one Technicolor one that CenturyLink provided. I need to upgrade, but looking at DSLReports, it's one of the better ones.

You can use your own, though. No certs or anything needed. I used to use a Cisco modem until I went with a bonded connection (30Mbps where I'm at).

Back