DSL Connection Dropping

_cashel

[H]ard|Gawd
Here's the info:

I'm using Sprint as my provider
The modem is a Sprint modem, the 645 Series
The router is a D-link DI-704UP
I've got to computers connected through this, one with XP home and mine w/ XP Pro.

Here's the problem:

Basically after a certain period of time, the connection will just drop, and I can't access the internet. I really have no idea why it does this, but I've done everything I can think of: antivirus, spyware scans, resetting both the router and modem, flushing the dns, whatever else. I can't ping or do anything. This will usually happen after a long period of time (like when I wake up, sometime it will have dropped or if I come back after school, it will have dropped). Any thoughts on why it's doing this?

Edit: Even though the connection is working fine now, I just noticed that the "internet connection" under the Internet Gateway section in Networking Connections is disabled. When I try to enable it, it will say 'connected' however stil say it's disabled afterwards. Is this normal?

One more thing, the router I have also has a USB print server function. The only problem is that I can't get it to work correctly. The IP set for the printer port on the router is the default 192.168.0.1, both computers have auto assign IP for the cards as well. How do I get this to work correctly?

Sorry if this is just something obvious that I'm missing, I just really have no experience w/ broadband :D , and very little networking experience.

Do you have the same problem when you just have one computer plugged right into the ADSL modem?

Sorry bout the late response, been pretty busy the last few days.

Yes the connection does work when the modem is directly connected to the computer.

Have you tried calling your DSL company to make sure it's not anything wrong on their side?

Back