DSL-2320B

Grentz

Fully [H]
Anyone have this box from D Link?
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=554

I just ordered it to replace my DSL Modem (currently Zyxel 660 from ISP) and hoping it will help with my torrenting issues. Currently my modem totally freezes after a few hours of heavy torrenting even though it is bridged to an IPCop router.

Looking online it looks like a common issue with cheaper modems that get overrun with connections, so hopefully the D Link will solve my issues!

Ya, wish I could have cable, but it stops at the neighborhood next to mine :(

(as does the full speed DSL service...i get knocked to 512/128 lol)

I never heard of pure DSL modems locking up under traffic. Are you positive it's been bridged properly...no NAT...that your IPCop box is getting the public IP?

Speedstreams are my fave little ISP DSL box.

yeah I have it. (DSLX ships those modems)

what would you need to know?

I never heard of pure DSL modems locking up under traffic. Are you positive it's been bridged properly...no NAT...that your IPCop box is getting the public IP?

Speedstreams are my fave little ISP DSL box.

Its quite common if you search around for it. Most consumer modems cannot handle it. There is tons of info on it online. Its not something new...I cant believe you have never heard of it! Most people try to blame the routers, but many times it is the modems themselves, even when bridged.

yes, it is bridged properly...I know what I am doing with the setup and it is the modem that is the problem (or just my ISP in general...could be something on their side as well which I am hoping its not!) ;)

I have had other routers like smoothwall as well, different hardware too, and the same problem happens. Plus I have similar boxes on other internet connections and they work just fine.

yeah I have it. (DSLX ships those modems)

what would you need to know?

Just curious how it handles heavy torrenting.

Both Zyxel modems I have gotten from my ISP crap out under heavy torrenting and things with lots of concurrent connections.

lol, ya I have a 1721 I could get a ADSL wic for, but I know nothing with Cisco stuff.

I know I could learn..but what do ya do.

Its stupid too...I only have 512/128 internet and I turn the max connections down to 20 and it still kills my internet! I think its more people trying to connect to me on popular torrents...then it overloads my modem

Hopefully its the modem and not my stupid ISP..but from the research I have done it seems like it is most likely the modem

on second thought, are you positve its the modem? If you only have 512/128 and you are doing the "heavy torrenting" you're probably overloading the circuit and it just starts dropping shit because there is no where for it to go. It's been a while since I've used IPCop, can't remember if it supports QoS or not. I would recommend you setup some QoS/traffic shaping and see what happens. I wouldn;t be surprised to find out you have the same problem with the new modem . . . that's just my two cents though . . . .

Yeah, dude, 20 connections is way to much. If you have 20 concurrent connections and they are each taking 8kbps thats 160kbps, over your upstream limit. You have no room for other traffic. Need to eaither drop the connections or setup some traffic shaping. New modem isn;t going to help you at all here.

lol, no

Concurrent connections, I run usually around 180 - 200 easily just web surfing and such. They sit in the NAT table. Concurrent connections are not necessarily downloading and active, they are just connections. Most people will run around 1500 in torrent programs, and I have done that easily with other modems even on slower lines than mine. It is too many connections overloading the modem, not by speed, but just the number (which really is not that hi)

I do have QOS and Traffic Shaping as well...I do not let my torrents use over 50% of my up or download

I cant believe no one around here has heard of this, if you search for concurrent connections modem on google there are tons and tons of people with the same issues of modems overloading because they just cant handle it.

well no shit about web surfing and concurrent connections, I was talking about the concurrent torrent sessions. bittorrent will rape your bandwidth if you don;t limit it.

I did a googler for concurrent connections modem and I came up with this post and another from 2006. :D

Ok, but I have torent limited to 50% of my bandwidth for both up and down and there is traffic shaping in effect.

I can still surf the web easily, and game and such while torrenting, yet the modem will still crap out. So I cant imagine the circuit is overloaded could it be?

When a connection is maxed you can usually tell as pings will go through the roof and you can barely surf, that does not happen. It just craps out after awhile (and the connection tables fill up).

Its quite common if you search around for it. Most consumer modems cannot handle it. There is tons of info on it online. Its not something new...I cant believe you have never heard of it! Most people try to blame the routers, but many times it is the modems themselves, even when bridged.

Did a quick search..really didn't come up with much other than setups where I'm sure it was a combination of "it was still running as a router even though they thought it was bridged"...or stuff like that.

I think the one time I came across this issue myself..was when someone had their Speedstream sitting right on top of their subwoofer. Yeah..place a network device on top of a huge magnet....good thinking!

Todays generation of DSL modems are rated for 24 megs...the first generation ones (like the older Speedstream 5260/5360) were rated for 8.

Zyxel is a good brand..make some decent stuff...I consider them better than DLink. But 99% of the DSL setups I have up here are on Speedstreams...love those little black buggers...good units. AT&T has replaced them now with similar Motorola units...on the latest setups I've been doing.

Concurrent connections mean nothing to a pure modem...only to the router. When you're saying you're Googling and coming up with people "thinking" concurrent connections are killing their modem...they are incorrect. It's something else..or..more than likely...their little Zyxel or Speedstream is actually still in router mode and they've double NAT'd their own router behind it.

Your line may be noisy and can't handle high loads, your modem may actually be failing...perhaps overheating, on poor power, etc.

Well, hopefully it will fix it.

I found a few links of people talking about the Zyxel 660 (what I currently have) having issues. Zyxel usually makes good stuff, but the 660 I think has problems with the firmware some ISPs put on it (and there is no way to flash it back to the original firmware, already tried that...).

My router should be able to handle it just fine, and like I said I have been careful to make it so it does not max out my line (lots of speed controls and traffic shaping).

Im sorry I dont have the link, but I found some guys talking recently (late 2007) about the issue with a speedstream 4100 unit. They were talking about how stock it can handle ~200 connections, and then if you bridge it ups it to ~500. But still if you go over 500, even when bridged, it will kill the modem.

I think that is what is going on, as it seems very much like what is happening. If I do not bridge the modem, it dies right away almost with torrenting. If I do bridge the modem, I can get it to last for quite awhile (days even sometimes) but still eventually it dies.

and just for reference, I am WAY under what the Azureus calc says for the connection settings (as far as number of concurrent, etc.):
http://infinite-source.de/az/az-calc.html

You all could be right, this may not be the issue. But I have messed with different routers, settings (on everything from the router to azureus to the PC its running on) and the only thing really left is the ISP/Modem. I have gone so far as to go down to 1 connection in azureus and it still dies ;)

See the problem is the incoming peers that try to connect, they dont successfully, and they dont take much raw bandwidth, but they make connections that put load on the router/modem from what I have seen. I have also heard that DSL "modems" are actually a type of router even when bridged because of the way DSL works with the DSLAM and such, so no matter what, the modem is "routing" and thus connections could kill it.

I think this has less to do with "speed" and more to do with so many connections that the modem cannot handle it.

I really am taking your guys input, so keep it coming. I want to get this fixed, not have some big head about knowing whats right! But I am not an idiot with this stuff at all, and have been dealing with the issue for years. Most forums I go and talk on try and blame it on Double NAT and improper bridging and all that...just gets me upset as they look down on me about things that I know about and that are not the problem.

Another thing I forgot to put, my friend lives in the same town I do but he lives in close to the CO.

He has the EXACT same service I do, same modem as well (except since he is in closer he gets the true 1.5/128 speeds and not knocked down to 512/128). He has the EXACT same issue with it crapping out.

So line noise/crappy line is kinda out as a problem in my book, at least for the time being. He has an almost perfect connection since he is so close to the CO.

I tried Azureus for about three days. It completely sucked for me. Couldn't get anything to download and my internets on the PC I had it installed on just sucked ass. My laptops were just fine while that machine was torrenting, but it couldn't get any web pages to resolve, connection timed out errors. I switched back to bittornado and everything is fine again. Try switching to a different bittorrent client and see if that does anything for you, I know it did for me. :D

Hrm, I might try that. Might try out bittornado if it has some of the features I like.

Thats one thing awesome about azureus...all the things it can do. But if it dont work it dont work!

I have a few spare DSL modems around if you wish....a 5260 or two, a 5360, a 5100, probably a few others. Can beam one over to you for relatively cheap.

Well I will see how this DSL-2320B works out. Should be here tomorrow.

I will keep you in mind though (and thanks for the offer!), I will hit you up if the Dlink does not work out (lets cross our fingers it does though ;) )

and ya, those speedstreams are nice. My other friend, in another town with a different ISP has one and it works great.

UPDATE:

Got the 2320 and setup was a breeze. Put in the proper VPI/VCI settings and it connected right away. It gets a sync much faster than the Zyxel did. Speeds and such are the same pretty much, may have improved a tiny amount.

I fired up Azureus, expanded the max connections to 75, loaded up a popular torrent, and it has been going for 2hrs 30min just fine. Before the same torrent killed my connection in about 10minutes.

So *knocks on wood* that this solved my issue! Dont know for sure as it has only been 2.5hrs, but only time will tell!

Back