DS3P can't install XP to SATA drive?

AbRASiON

Limp Gawd
I'm having problems installing XPSP2 to a SATA disk I've got attached to my DSP3 (brand new F4 bios, 3.3 revision)

I am NOT using an F6 floppy, however I was under the impression you don't need one when installing XP with some intel chipsets?

It manages to detect the drive and see partitions, I can format the one I want and install but then it NTLDR is missing'd me upon re-boot.

I had a very very similar problem with an Asus NF4 board over a year ago, huge huge amounts of problems and in the long run, surprisingly the solution was to 'force' the disk into LARGE mode in the bios and not LBA - I was skeptical but I found forum posts confirming it and it did work for me.

Strangely if I use Acronis Disk Director and copy the existing XP install across it doesn't work either and that existing XP install has the right drivers loaded into it.
Also I'm trying to manually select the correct drive with F12 to be sure, the disk is not faulty and yes the partition is active, what am I missing here, it is one of those obscure bios options like AHCI or SATA or PATA mode.

For reference I'm using the orange connectors on the board and port #0 or #1 or whatever it is, the very first one.
Anyone else have this? I just want to boot my machine off SATA instead of PATA - I'm concerned there might be some performance issues with PATA after seeing some forum posts claiming anomalies AND it seems ... odd off the PATA for me also.

Would love a response, appreciate it muchly

EDIT: Yes disc is SP2 slipstreamed XP CD.

How large is your HD and is it SATA2 3.0GBs ? (if so try native mode enabled, if not use disabled)

Does your XP install disk include SP2 ? I am checking but I think SP2 had the native mode SATA drivers, if no SP2 disable native mode.

k, you are on the intel port.

These are for the Intel ports
Integrated Peripherals
SATA AHCI Mode [Disabled]

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode [Enabled]

These are for the jmicron ports
Onboard SATA/IDE Device [Enabled]
Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode [IDE]

sounds like you have a lot going on on that disk, if its just data partitions it should not matter but if has a boot manager with some other OS it might matter "who" goes first. So... I am trying to back away slowly and turn and run away when you are not looking....

edit done. try that.

How large is your HD and is it SATA2 3.0GBs ? (if so try native mode enabled, if not use disabled)

Does your XP install disk include SP2 ? I am checking but I think SP2 had the native mode SATA drivers, if no SP2 disable native mode.

k, you are on the intel port.

These are for the Intel ports
Integrated Peripherals
SATA AHCI Mode [Disabled]

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode [Enabled]

These are for the jmicron ports
Onboard SATA/IDE Device [Enabled]
Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode [IDE]

sounds like you have a lot going on on that disk, if its just data partitions it should not matter but if has a boot manager with some other OS it might matter "who" goes first. So... I am trying to back away slowly and turn and run away when you are not looking....

edit done. try that.

I beleive the native mode thing is called AHCI isn't it? That's disabled - it's in the second menu.
It's a 400gb 7200.9 Seagate
It is an SP2 XP - god I can't beleive I forgot that, important detail, yes totally slipstreamed fine.

Back