DS3 temp monitoring question

GwarGor

Limp Gawd
I just started to test out my DS3/e6400 combo out and I'm getting conflicting temp readings. With Core Temp 0.95 I'm getting 40c at idle and when running Orthos after 2 minutes or so I'm seeing temps in mid 60s. With easytune5 I'm showing around 30c at idle(didn't have it running at load). So what program should I trust. I did up my cpu voltage to 1.3500v(showing 1.3300 ineasytune5 ) as i'm using the OCing guide Bill Parrish posted here. I am using the stock intel hs/fan with as5 and it is mounted properly. the fan speed is only about 1700rpm is that right?? . I did disable auto fanspeed control in the bios. I'm not OCing yet, still at stock speeds testing things. Thanks

**Edit**
Everest and speedfan are also showing 30c ish at Idle too, so I'm starting to think it must be an issue with CoreTemp. In the bios it's showing mid 30s

I was about to post the same question for bill! :eek: . I have the exact same problem with my DS3. I think easytune5 is correct becuase the bios shows similar temps..

idle/load

coretemp 40c/56c
easttune 28c/40c
bios 28c/xx

ahh but, how busy is the computer in the bios ?

Frankly it does not matter which you use as long as you use it consistantly and set the max temp alarm in the bios, everything else is just a "mine runns cooler than yours game".

I use coretemp for casual quick checks as I like the new little tray icons.

When I change my OC I use TAT it normally reads a little higher because it (beleive it or not) stresses the cpu more than orthos.

but really any of them are accurate enough. The bios temp you cant really rely on except when you first put it together with no OS to make sure things are oK. Watch how fast the temp can change with TAT or coretemp when you add or remove load. So bios temp is good, while you are in the bios. as soon as you start windows bios temp no longer applies.

dont worry to much about it :D

hmm good first question for a FAQ

I just started to test out my DS3/e6400 combo out and I'm getting conflicting temp readings. With Core Temp 0.95 I'm getting 40c at idle and when running Orthos after 2 minutes or so I'm seeing temps in mid 60s. With easytune5 I'm showing around 30c at idle(didn't have it running at load). So what program should I trust. I did up my cpu voltage to 1.3500v(showing 1.3300 ineasytune5 ) as i'm using the OCing guide Bill Parrish posted here. I am using the stock intel hs/fan with as5 and it is mounted properly. the fan speed is only about 1700rpm is that right?? . I did disable auto fanspeed control in the bios. I'm not OCing yet, still at stock speeds testing things. Thanks

**Edit**
Everest and speedfan are also showing 30c ish at Idle too, so I'm starting to think it must be an issue with CoreTemp. In the bios it's showing mid 30s

To answer a little better,

I just did a comparison on my machine:
TAT and coretemp are reading identical, and everything says these tools read the internal temp diode built into the CPU directly. 40C/40c 41C/41C (while rebuilding my raid in background oops :eek: :D )

I am fairly certain speedfan (unless it has the coretemp plugin) and the Gigabyte tool, get there readings from the sensor monitoring chip on the SMS buss. That explains why they are different than tat and coretemp, as to which is more accurate, /shrug coretemp and tat should be but again, mainly you want to track the difference in temps when you change something so as long as you use what you use consistently, it does not matter a whole lot. The gigabyte tool is a memory hog is the main reason I don't like it. but could be useful until you are "all happy" and find a good setup, then switch to the other tools. And before you ask speedfan has a temp sensor that is reading the back side of the sun for all we know, one reading is wacky and is probably reading nothing, its not the MCH/northbridge as some people want to think, its just not readying anything and its nuts. I had trouble with the 12V voltage and could not find fan dividers that worked so thats why i don't use speedfan, but I got a DQ6 might be fine with DS3. Speedfan nice when you get it all set up. Like that one, just didn't have any luck making it work with the DQ6.

Heres my findings:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69
So I have just run a little test. I am on stock fan with stock TIM and stock settings in the gigabyte BIOS.

I loaded up TAT, throttle watch, core temp (0.95 and beta 0.94) and Speedfan. I loaded up TAT to 100% usage on both cores with CPU fan spinning away happily at 1400rpm (or whatever the stock does at full.).

After 5 minutes it had loaded to about:

* 64/66 on TAT/Coretemp (0.95)
* 49/51 on Speedfan and CT0.94

Touching the HSF it was cool right down to the base and so I assumed it was doing its job properly.

So I pulled the power to the CPU and exhaust fan and watched the temps rise . After another 4 minutes this happened:

* 94/95 on TAT/CT0.95
* 79/80 On Speedfan/CT0.94

Now the HSF was roasting hot almost too hot to touch and the motherboard started beeping away for overheating. No Throttling had taken place (even thought it was supposed to) at 94/95 on TAT as they start to throttle at 85c. Speedfan and CT0.94 both registered around 80c. As soon as those two hit 80c it was beep beep and I replugged the fan and switched off TAT.

Soooo which one is correct? Which one has the temps properly pegged? Currently sat idle with case side off in ambient of around 10-12c in my room (I like a cold room) and SF/CT0/94 has it at 18/19c compared to 33/34 of CT0.95.

That would put the 3.0GHz o/c of 77'c on the TTBT (using CT0.95) at around 52c which would seem more resonable.

The BIOS temps are more inline with SF/CT0.94. Would it be possible to idle at ~20c on a Core2Duo on air in a cold room?

On my x2 3800 (2.7GHz 1.5v) it would idle at 20c with the TTBT with CnQ enabled (and cold night) and around 27c at 2.7GHz. At load was around 50-54 (depending on ambient).

I know TAT wasn't written when the e4300 was around and does have problems reading the correct temps of the e4300. My IHS isn't concave but my TTBT could do with a bit of a lap (will go get some sandpaper tonight.)

This intel stuff is a little confusing to me I have to admit

Thanks for you responses guys. I did some testing too and what I did was set my CPU warning temp in the bios to 60c. Then I ran orthos and my warning beeping starting when everest and easytune hit 60c and coretemp 0.95 was reading in the 70s at the time.

I trust Core Temp more than Easy Tune to be honest. I'm not even exactly sure what EasyTune is reading.

But two different versions of coretemp read two different values...which is correct?

i have a similar problem,

coretemp and speed fan were reporting similar temps (DS3 3.3 + e6400). around 24 at idle.... which is great, easy tune + bios were 2-3 degrees higher.....

yesterday i updated to the new version of coretemp... idle shows up as 36????

something is not right, also, it describes my cpu as conroe-2m now which is correct, but displays the multiplier as being 6 x350ish..... ?? everything is stock by the way

my cpu is so cold at idle that my fan shuts off, also the heat sink upon touch is not even warm..........

i'm confused:confused:

Back