DS3 problems... any ideas?

bassman

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright, I'm pulling my hair out here and I really need some help. I have a DS3, Celeron 326 (to hold me over until I get a C2D), X1900XT, Antec TPII 550, and OCZ DDR2-800 Platinum (2.1v). I couldn't boot until I got some cheap DDR2-533 that I *know* runs at 1.8v. So I boot up, update the BIOS from F2 to F4C (heard on XS that the F4C BIOS is working with my OCZ), bump up my DDR voltage, save, power off, put the OCZ in, then reboot, and nothing. I replaced the OCZ with the 533 RAM and still nothing.

The CPU and video card fans run, but I don't have video and there are no beeps from the speaker. The X1900XT fan stays at high-speed instead of slowing down right after boot like it normally does.

I've tried every stick of both sets of RAM in every slot, resetting the CMOS with the jumper, taking the battery out overnight, even pulling every cable and component out and re-seating them. No luck. I sent an email to Gigabyte for help but have yet to hear back. Does anybody have any ideas while I wait for a response?

Checked it out, thanks. Doesn't sound like the problem I'm having.

Found the problem. The mounting plate for my heatsink was shorting out some of the pins on the back of the 775 socket. I figured the foam tape on the plate was enough to prevent that, but I was wrong. Everything's working fine now. :D

FYI for others with the Ultra-120 (or other heatsinks with a metal mounting plate on the back of the motherboard): the foam tape on the back mounting plate does NOT stop the pins from the 775 socket from poking through and making electrical contact.

My board won't post either. The 7900GT's fan goes round and round. I've got a Ninja w/ a decent amount of backing, so I don't think that's it. Plus it's been working on the AA8XE for the past couple months. Ram?

IMG_1100.jpg

No post. It's Patriot 2x1GB 667Mhz CL5 Signature Line, PSD22G667K. Here's a link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220064

Picked up the DS3 from Fry's along with an e6300. Unfortunately, I do not have a speaker to hear error codes. I tried:

-2 different video cards (1 known good)
-Went through all the ram combos
-Clear CMOS
-Double checked all connections

I can't be 100% certain it's the board, cpu, or ram since I've yet to see any up yet. But I'm fairly certain the board doesn't like the Patriot chips. I'll pick up some new one's tomorrow...Corsair ~ least hassle then? If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Back