DS3 Equipment?

Hey Guys
I am just wondering if there is any smaller DS3 equipment that can fit inside my apt with out having large equipment inside?

Wouldn't it depend on the provider and how they deliver the DS3 to the demarc?

Hey Guys
I am just wondering if there is any smaller DS3 equipment that can fit inside my apt with out having large equipment inside?

I'm not quite sure its up to you. Your provider would install it, so ask them.

Oh...and...DS3 to your house?! :eek:

Oh...and...DS3 to your house?! :eek:

Not even house...he said "apartment"...so there's permission from the landlord stuff to work with also. If he's trying to setup a WISP..there's gonna be more than just a wire run through a hole drilled in the wall.........think about it....

Are you asking about what you need for an edge/core router to connect to the DS3? Again it depends on what your provider hands off to you at the demarc. Some providers may allow you to terminate the DS3 directly via coax or fiber with a WIC in a Cisco router for instance, while others will hand off an ethernet connection out of the provider's equipment.

Either way you'll need some type of router to handle the traffic, routes to the internet, etc for your WISP startup.

The WISP-A General mailing list would be a good place to search and/or ask for recommendations
http://lists.wispa.org/mailman/listinfo/wireless

Sounds like before you worry about bringing in the DS3 your landlord needs to know whats about to be mounted somewhere on his building

Last edited:
well I am just wondering about the DS3 equipment size anyways it doesnt mean Im going to get DS3 because of the cost of it. I might go with business coax connection from TWC

We are working with our ISP right now to get 50/50 brought in. I'll find out more today / tomorrow, but it sounds like we should be able to bring it in over 6-8 pairs of copper.

Iowa. Any further than that we can PM, the ISP is Windstream if you fall into one of their area's

@timreichhart - Like has been said, depends on how it's being brought in. I've seen a few 1u boxes at trade shows for DS3's.

@calvinj - Lets hope their outside plant is in good shape - some of the old GTE/Iowa Telecom plant I work on can barely carry dial tone let alone an EFM circuit.

well when I was looking for bandwidth quotes some of them quotes was showing with router and some without router for about 4k to 5k for full DS3.

by the way what does DS3 router look like anyways?

Last edited:
well when I was looking for bandwidth quotes some of them quotes was showing with router and some without router for about 4k to 5k for full DS3.

by the way what does DS3 router look like anyways?

DS3 gear is frickin huge. I had a DS3 once, had to park it in a specially air conditioned room.

It looks like this:

1016813135734446.JPG

I've had a DS3 before, used a serial line card (WIC) in a Cisco 7204 VXR, so hand off was just a 75 OHM coax cable. line card was a pa-t3 I think, single port T3 card.

if you don't have a router you can get a T3 card for, get a coax to optical media converter and an SFP?

@calvinj - Lets hope their outside plant is in good shape - some of the old GTE/Iowa Telecom plant I work on can barely carry dial tone let alone an EFM circuit.

Ya I know what your talking about. I worked for Iowatele for 2 1/2 years. Instead of investing in the company the profits lined the C-Level's Pockets.

I've been in our CO. It will be required to have an upgrade to bring ups the bandwidth we need. The CO wasn't slated for another 2 years, but because we needed that much bandwidth we got bumped to the front of the line.

DS3 is probably going to cost me to much anyways because there is built cost on top of it so I probably can get 8 dsl lines and bond them together plus a docsis 3 cable setup from cable company to get me 90meg down and 9.5 meg upload if I do the load balancing correctly.

if anybody is wondering how I came up with 90 meg download and 9.5meg upload.

frontier offers 7 meg x 768 kbps upload so you only get half of that 7meg so be around 6meg x 8 = 48meg and docsis setup(50/5) is 50 which you only probably going to get 40 to 45 meg out of it so if you add the dsl+cable comes out to 90meg download.

correct me if I am wrong please.

Last edited:
Would your apartment have to be zoned by the city as residential/commercial for your venture to be legal?

no I dont think so plus I am not putting a massive tower at my apt. All I am doing is putting 30ft mast up and shooting cross town to a old water tower for my WISP.

From my village manager which is my landlord told me I can put up a 60ft tower if I wanted to.

by the way I live in rural northwest ohio.

my apt is inside the village and its already zoned as residential.

other then that the village doesnt have a say so on what I do for internet connection how do they know that I am not getting wireless connection from other WISP?

Last edited:
Just curious what you were thinking on bonding up these connections with? Also are you planning on just QOS's a certain speed to your customers? 2/512 kind of thing?

spoke to level3 today and they told me they would put a managed router like a cisco and it would have ethernet handoff but the connection would be feed by coax setup.

spoke to level3 today and they told me they would put a managed router like a cisco and it would have ethernet handoff but the connection would be feed by coax setup.

generally if you aren't participating in BGP routing (not assigned an AS) and are only having a single provider, they'll just give you ethernet handoff and a static route, easier for them if you aren't familiar with BGP routing.

Back