Drupal - what's the catch?

ameoba

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been hearing a lot of good things about Drupal lately. Too many good things for me to believe they're all true - there has to be flaws and warts on the system. Those of you with Drupal experience, what are the major downfalls to the system?

Writing a completely new template or even module can be pretty painful. It makes wordpress templates look simple. I know previous versions of the codebase were a bit...ugly, but certainly functional. I haven't dug into the latest releases but I hear it's much better. That said, I like it, it comes out of the box with a TON of stuff, it seems more consistent and better designed than mambo, and it has a great community.

Drupal really is a fantastic product. It is more complicated that WordPress, but it has a lot more features available. My biggest complaint with Drupal is that at least version 5 didn't load incredibly fast with GoDaddy, but it got the job done well.

As long as you like shopping for drupal modules, and then configuring said modules... you'll be okay. That's basically what drupal is... you get a core of functionality, and then you go shopping for modules (amongst many)... download them, set them up and make them work together.

Personally, I like OpenCMS a bit more (easy setup, complete package upon install)... but it can require Java coding new functions, as there aren't many modules around... and it seems it's mainly used in Europe.

(I used both in a course in my last semester of college)

Back