Dropped Wireless Signal when Using 2.4Ghz Phone

Viper16

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there Anyway to fix this....we have three phones in the house, two are 5.x ghz and one is 2.4Ghz and unfortunately the 2.4Ghz is everyone's personal choice. Whenever someone in the house uses the 2.4ghz phone, my internet drops, but I still have the signal strength bar at the same level.I have a Gigabyte GN-49G / GN-WPEAG Kit, Is there any tweaking I can do to get this solved, or do I need to look into getting another phone?

Thanks, Mike

Look in your 2.4GHz phone's manual to find its operating frequency. Now go into the settings of your router/access point and change the wireless channel to a frequency at least 25MHz away from the nearest phone frequency. Use the same channel on all other Clients.

The wireless LAN channels are as follows:
  1. 2.412GHz
  2. 2.417GHz
  3. 2.422GHz
  4. 2.427GHz
  5. 2.432GHz
  6. 2.437GHz
  7. 2.442GHz
  8. 2.447GHz
  9. 2.452GHz
  10. 2.457GHz
  11. 2.462GHz
  12. 2.467GHz
  13. 2.472GHz

Thanks, another quick question. I tried to access my router from the wireless source and it was a no go. I looked at the manual and got the router IP and couldn't access from the wireless. Do I need to go to one of the other computers and use it on a wired connection? Thanks again, Mike

Yes it is best to change settings on a router from a computer hardwired to the router.

Look in your 2.4GHz phone's manual to find its operating frequency. Now go into the settings of your router/access point and change the wireless channel to a frequency at least 25MHz away from the nearest phone frequency. Use the same channel on all other Clients.

802.11b and g "channels" are 22 Mhz wide, thus he'd only really need to be 12 Mhz away from the phone in theory. That is if the phone was using a single frequency in the spectrum, which it probably is not. I'd recommend getting as far away from the phone in frequency as your AP config will allow. If your phone is using frequency hopping, and many 2.4 Ghz phones do, then it won't really matter what your AP is set at. You'll want to get rid of it. Also, you don't set client frequency unless your running the clients in Ad Hoc mode. Infrastructure client devices will scan on boot and periodically as they send beacons out. Specifying a channel on a infrastructure client is a waste of time.

I've had this problem many many times... I've seen SOME 2.4Gz phones that will work 'at peace' with a wifi device, and have no problems at all... I've also seen me have to replace the phone with a 5.8Ghz version, because no matter what channel it was set on, it seemed to interfere.

P.S. FYI 5.8Ghz phones suck, IMO that is :) they don't seem to have no where NEAR the penetrating power inside of a building.

QJ

Back